• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker and LSD for 8.25

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok, So i am thinking i need a Posi Trac or limited slip dif, i primarily do desert running in my rig, but for the sake of keeping this thread up, do this!!

What are the option available for lockers, lsd, and posi-tracs for the 8.25 rear end, and post your experience with them.

Did a search, but 10 different one each with a different spin, thought maybe people would want to do it all on one thread.

tcm glx said:
Ok, So i am thinking i need a Posi Trac or limited slip dif, i primarily do desert running in my rig, but for the sake of keeping this thread up, do this!!

What are the option available for lockers, lsd, and posi-tracs for the 8.25 rear end, and post your experience with them.

For LSD:
Auburn Limited Slip, Cone Clutch Type.
Dana Track-Lock, Plate Clutch Type.
Detroit TrueTrac, Gear Type.

See http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/20958/index2.html

As which one you should choose, depends of your application.

Huy.

I have an Auburn in mine, and it awesome. Quiet and invisible on the street and hooks up well off raod. However, I want something more aggressive, so I will be going with a No-Slip or Lockright very soon.

Fergie

I have an auburn in my 98 and liked it from day one once I got used to it. Got to try it today for the first time in about 4" of snow. Nice but had to get used to the way it tends to push you straight on turns when accelerating, need to remember to lift foot OFF the skinny pedal when making sharp turns then it snaps into the direction of the turn.

Fergie said:
I have an Auburn in mine, and it awesome. Quiet and invisible on the street and hooks up well off raod. However, I want something more aggressive, so I will be going with a No-Slip or Lockright very soon.

Fergie
How soon you getting rid of that???

The "No-Slip" that you refer to is from Powertrax right?

If so is it the Powertrax Lock-Right locker or the Powertrax Traction Systems that you are talking about?

I need to know which would be better in my 8.25 that is a daily-driver.

Wolz said:
The "No-Slip" that you refer to is from Powertrax right?

If so is it the Powertrax Lock-Right locker or the Powertrax Traction Systems that you are talking about?

I need to know which would be better in my 8.25 that is a daily-driver.

I don't think it's either of those. No-Slip is the actual name of the locker. It is now made by Richmond Gear as they bought Powertrax.

tcm glx said:

Is your 8.25 27 spline or did you upgrade? if it's 27 spline, you might want to consider upgrading the shafts while doing a full carrier locker.
Anyways if you get a detroit you will be really happy with it. Next one would be no slip.

Another question is this: are you going to do the install yourself? what gears are you running? If you're going to install a lunchbox locker then you can breeze through it in an afternoon (or even less then that). If you are doing a full carrier locker, consider getting gears done at the same time (might as well, since you're taking off your ring gear ).

<edit> just read your sig and noticed the line about gears. In that case your best bet would be a lunchbox locker: no slip is the way to go then.

Back