• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another annoying sound question....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
On my old 93, i had to replace the windshield and i found the cheapest place b/c as long as i had no leaks at the time i didnt care how good of a job they did, after the job was done i noticed above 40 mph i heard this creaking noise coming from right in front of me...sounded almost like pebbles bouncing off the glass or the glass cracking continuously....i ignored it b/c it didnt bother me for the 100 bux the guy charged me. But now w/ my 00xj does the same thing, a lot worse when its cold out...but it looks like the original glass....has anyone had a similar sound w/ their xj?? I'm thinking maybe the seal that holds the glass on gets hard and brittle and makes the cracking sound??

Mine makes a noise that seems like what you're describing. I narrowed my noises down to the different plastics in the dash/windshield area warming up at different rates. If I direct the heat to the dash vents, it happens much faster and louder, especially once the engine's good and warm. Not much that can be done if that's the problem. I did manage to stop some annoying squeaks by gluing some fabric to the undersides of various plastic panels so they won't rub against each other so much, but that doesn't stop the sound you're describing.

I have the same sound in my 90. I didn't really hear it until the cold weather hit. I just figured it was a jeep thing. I do however have a new sound to add. Around 40 mph I can hear a very shrill sound coming either from in the dash or under the hood right in front of me. Anyone?

um, high pitched, annoying, almost ear piercing sound that only occurs while driving. I tried putting it in neutral, revving it up, doesn't change or go away. But get past about 45 and it immediately stops. It doesn't fade away, it just stops.

Does the shrill sound happen right after you switch the vents to the windshield or combo windshield/floor? If so, it's probably just whistling that happens when the directional flaps (for lack of the right term) don't quite match up right with the opening due to the cold.

Edit: I just reread your post. Could it be what I just wrote combined with the noise stopping because it's finally warmed up?

lumberxj89 said:
The noise sounds just like the one I have - the vacuum connection at the Map sensor (mounted on firewall) is leaking.

That sounds more likely to be what it is as it does it when it's cold, warm, etc, seems to be inside and maybe outside at the same time and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine revs. Thanks a lot, I'll check that out tonight. Do you think some ultra black would fix it? Oh, thanks for letting me jump on your post with a different problem JEEPXJ93.

Last edited:
I don't mean to kick up such an old topic, but better to search and reply, then to not search and ask.

Now that it's getting cold out again, i've got the same cracking/squeaking sound coming from right in front of me. It's gotta be something with the windshield as it sounds like its reverberating off it and making it louder.

Has anyone ever come up with a solution or fix for this? And why does this only happen in colder weather? It sounds like the kind of thing that would go away if you put your hand on it to brace and dampen it, but that doesn't work either. And for some reason, it sounds like it's only coming from the drivers side, at the bottom of the windshield.

Man, it's annoying...

The body flexing and the windshield rubbing on metal somewhere. My GM G-body cars all did it in winter. The sealant shrinks up and makes it worse in cold weather.

Back