• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing Bender

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
so i was looking around and actually found a 16 ton tubing bender on eBay for $100 + $100 for Shipping. has anyone used this one or know someone that has. It comes with dies all the way up to a 3". I am wanting to start to make a Exo cage and didnt know if this one will work well or not. any input helps.

thanks

4x4forlife said:
so i was looking around and actually found a 16 ton tubing bender on eBay for $100 + $100 for Shipping. has anyone used this one or know someone that has. It comes with dies all the way up to a 3". I am wanting to start to make a Exo cage and didnt know if this one will work well or not. any input helps.

thanks

It'll work great if your into plumbing.......

CRASH

davidt said:
is it one of the harbor freight type benders? like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35336
If it is, it is a PIPE bender not a tube bender and is NOT safe for exo cages, plus you can only do 90 degree turns on it, so no stingers :(
has anybody seen this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44094
Is it a pipe or tube bender?

Neither, it is for bending solid stock. It works well, but haven't found that many uses for mine in the Jeep world. It does nice wrought iron fence work, though!

Andy

As mentioned before, if it’s a Harbor Freight type it is a PIPE bender not a TUBE bender. There is a difference in out side diameters between schedules 40 & 80 pipe and DOM tubing. If you use a pipe bender to bend DOM or a tube bender to bend pipe it will wrinkle and scratch it. I know you are supposed to use DOM tubing and TIG welding for roll cages, but in AK DOM is extremely expensive and hard to get and very few people have a TIG welder. Most guys use schedule 40 pipe and a MIG welder, not the ideal but it works. A couple of the cages have been “tested” and I haven’t heard any complaints. I have a buddy that has one of those benders and it does well if you use schedule 40 pipe. The only complains are that it is slow to use and there is no angle indicator so getting exactly the right angle is a trial and error deal. You can’t do real sharp bends with it either, so a stinger is out of the question. If you want the Cadillac tube bender check out this:
http://www.tubing-benders.com/model3bender.html
Its very nice, but you are going to pay for it. If you were going to use only one size tube you may be able to justify the cost of the bender and a die.

That bender will work out for bumpers and sliders, but if you don't have the coin to get a real one and want to gamble with your life, go ahead. Looks like wiley has done it with pipe. I was going to, but decided my life was too important to take that much of a risk. Cheers, and good luck, hope all of this helps

yea i will not be buying the bender i mentioned, my fault i saw the price and didnt do enough research.

Now what does everyone think of Wiley Coyote's Model 3 Tubing Bender that he showed.

that is definately blingin, I heard rockbuggy supply has some of the cheapest prices on them. Check over at pirate4x4.com under the vendors section.

I have a JD-2 MOdel 2 and love it. Manual operation, no hydro.

Forget about buying the angle indicator, you'll never use it. Read Tinbenbers tube bending instructions on POR. Been using that method for 2 years without fail.

CRASH

My JD2 has definatly paid for itself!

davidt said:
Looks like wiley has done it with pipe.
Just a clarification; I do not have a roll cage. I’ve seen some that were made out of schedule 40 pipe and they seem to do all right. DOM tubing is without a doubt better than schedule 40, but any cage is better than no cage.

Eric, Could you post the link to the Pro Tools bender? The Model 3 runs about $600 set up to do 2” tube (minus handle and mount, but you can make those easily). If I could find some thing good in the $300 range I’d be all over it.

Wiley Coyote said:
... If you want the Cadillac tube bender check out this:
http://www.tubing-benders.com/model3bender.html
Its very nice, but you are going to pay for it. If you were going to use only one size tube you may be able to justify the cost of the bender and a die.
This is more like a Caddy tube bender,
hb302a.jpg

I have the The Pro Tools One Shot Hydraulic Bender and I could not image using a manual bender. I know a guy who has a JD bender and with a 6ft cheater bar, it takes about 20 pulls to do a 90 degree bend. Takes me about 10 seconds pushing a button with my big toe :D

They are both available w/ hydraulic,its just not affordable then,I can punch out a 90* in under a minute without breaking a sweat(except in August and then it doesnt matter if I do anything,including breathing).

I sure as hell woould want a bender that could do more than a 90

BTW....

a 90-degree bend in under a minute?

thats like watching paint dry!!!!

180-hairpins in 6 seconds!

thats what I'm talking about!

Beezil said:
I sure as hell woould want a bender that could do more than a 90

BTW....

a 90-degree bend in under a minute?

thats like watching paint dry!!!!

180-hairpins in 6 seconds!

thats what I'm talking about!
Dude, like, not all of us have gnarly rolling benders.

pair8hd said:
This is more like a Caddy tube bender,
hb302a.jpg

I have the The Pro Tools One Shot Hydraulic Bender and I could not image using a manual bender. I know a guy who has a JD bender and with a 6ft cheater bar, it takes about 20 pulls to do a 90 degree bend. Takes me about 10 seconds pushing a button with my big toe :D

I've used that bender and it blows that you can only do 90s. Hydraulic benders are the way to go, but some don't have the cash for the pump and cylinder. I'd rather get an extra die or two if I were getting started and on a budget.

Use DOM tubing, but a piping bender is just a tubing bender with dies for piping... get the right die for your tubes/pipes, as long as the bender is strong enough to bend it that will work just fine.

MIG is no worse than TIG, TIG is just harder, prettier, and can be used for more metals than MIG. We use MIG for all our offroad comp cages up here.

Back