• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding on your rig question...

Ivan

I Jeep, therefore, I am..
So I'm anxious to try our my new mig welder on my XJ. This may seem dumb, but is there any "protocol" to welding on late model XJ's. What I mean is, do I have to disconnect the battery to protect the computer or any other electrical devices while I weld? Or can I just weld away? :dunno:

Ivan

Disconnect that battery and weld away. Be sure to keep the ground cable close to where you are working.

--Matt

x2

we were welding some door brackets on an xj and someone had the idea to put the ground on the negative battery cable, i didnt think this was a grand idea, anybody done this?

Your clip on ground should be as close to the weld spot as possible. Personally, I never disco the battery and have never had any problems, but I'm lazy. I would not only pull the battery cables but the best thing to do is to clamp the positive and negative cables together.

I have pulled the computer connectors a couple of times because on my rig it is much easier and exercising the contacts on the connectors is good to cut down corrosion.

I've done a lot of welding on mine and never pulled the cable(s) with no ill effects. Not saying it's a bad idea just not sure it's necessary.

when i weld on my junk i usually pull the cables, but i have been told its not really going to have any ill effects if not disco'd. personally, i would do it and as mentioned before put your work clamp as near as possible to weld.
^^
IMHO

I disconnect them.

I put a quick disconnect on the negative side of the battery, really just a studded terminal and a wingnut that makes it easy to disconnect. Cuts out any excuse for me not to.

I always disconnect both sides of the battery, but next time you get an exhaust system put on your car I'll bet the installer just welds away! I asked the local exhaust shop owner that does all of my work and he said he has never had a issue.

You think about that, the exhaust is hooked to the engine which is grounded.

Anyway I disconnect the battery just for insurance.

disconnect the battery! it's cheap insurance-it's not likely to cause problems if you dont,but if you have my luck not likely becomes a thread on replacing the computer-when I first started welding I worked at a limo building place and saw a new Caddy computer get fried-even with the battery unhooked,put the ground lead close to were you are welding-

Lou said:
E.E. Smarty pants ! :D

Acutally he's right. If you pull the battery cables, connect the loose cables (not the battery) together to short any voltage created by the welding. It's actually more of a potential problem to unhook the battery cables and leave everything floating. I've never bothered to pull the battery cables myself. In fact, I've never heard of anyone damaging any electronics when the put the welder ground clamp near the weld point and weren't welding right next to the computer.

this whole thing seems silly to me-why not just disconnect the battery? whats to loose-resetting the clock? I am a new bee so I dont count,but I have seen a computer get fried by this- it takes no time to disconnect/reconnect the positive cable-thats the end of the story-problem solved.

Iv welded on lots of vehicles and never disconnected a battery. I have not have any problems. Just make sure your ground is on a clean surface near where you welding. Don't turn the key on while your welding, that may create problems. It doesn't hurt to play it safe and disconnect it but iv never had any problems leaving it hooked up.

i knew a guy that was welding a truck for job site fried all the wireing

I have had my junk welded many times. You do not need to remove the battery cable. Put the welding ground near where you are welding.

I have had my junk welded many times. You do not need to remove the battery cable. Put the welding ground near where you are welding.

I really don't see the point on giving advice like this. So, you've never had a problem doing it...OK! Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Just take the extra 2 minutes and disconnect the battery and secure the cables. Play it safe!

Back