• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One last check before I dump the $$$

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
getting ready to call the guy to order my gears/lockers. here's what i told the guy to get a price quote:
4.56 gears for XJ d30 (high pinion)
4.56 gears for '88XJ d44

master install kits for both
arb air lockers for both
arb compressor kit.

am i missing anything? oh, and one last check on the ratio. i'm running 32's but might trim and upgrade to 33's later on. will 32's on 4.56's be too much for the street? i do way more street driving than offroad driving.

TIA

Steve

Last edited:
FitchVA said:
getting ready to call the guy to order my gears/lockers. here's what i told the guy to get a price quote:

am i missing anything? oh, and one last check on the ratio. i'm running 32's but might trim and upgrade to 33's later on. will 32's on 4.56's be too much for the street? i do way more street driving than offroad driving.

TIA

Steve

I haven't installed mine yet, or had it done, but after reading a lot of post here I when with 4.88's. You should read a bunch of post about this before you decide. Many forum users think the 4.88 are the way to go.

I ran 32's with 4:56s for a while in my DD and had no complaints. I also drove it to Tellico from Indiana with this set up (RPMs were a little higher than I would have liked, but acceptable) and it was fine.

I run 33s now and it works well on and off road. I have no experience with 4.88s, so I can't say anything there. I do think 4.56s are a good choice since you have 32s now and will be going to 33s.

Pat

btw, all of this is with a 5spd.

FitchVA said:

TIA

Steve

Sounds good to me. The 4.56's will be fine with the 32's or 33's. Many problems with ARB's are due to installation. Make sure that someone who has a good deal of experiences installing ARB's does the work. Keep the air lines away from any heat source and with enough room that fittings don't get pulled tight.

I run 4.56's with 32's also. Seems to be optimal for power and gas mileage. I'm very happy with the setup.

I would reconsider the ARB compressor kit if I were you.

I havent heard anything good of them. Maybe consider quick air or viair, or york maybe. I need to get my stuff together to get my ARB installed, im going the quickair route im thinking.

I have 265/75/16 on the 4.56 and i drive about 75 miles a day on the street. Absolutely love it, the RPMS are great between 70-75. Anything faster and they start to g et a tad bit high, but nothing too bad. Off road, they also work great!!

Back