• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockright help

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
well, i just finished installing my lockright in my d30 tonight. but when i try to test it like the instructions say, it wont unlock. i re-read the instuctions a dozen times. cant see anything i did wrong. any ideas on what im missing?? any similar experiances?

With two people, have both turn the wheels the same direction against a locked driveshaft. Then while one person holds, the other should turn the wheel the opposite direction, and the unit should unlock, and click repeatedly while turning that wheel. Then start over and reverse the direction of the other wheel. Same process w/ each side in both directions. When one side is being freewheeled, the unit should lock if the other is wheel is then turned in the same direction.

ok, i'll try that. in the first test in the directions, it said to spin one wheel back and forth with the truck in neutral, or 2x4, and it should unlock from the oposite wheel. said the wheels should be unlocked from each other, but there not. have to get two people on it tomarrow, and try that.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
well, i just finished installing my lockright in my d30 tonight. but when i try to test it like the instructions say, it wont unlock. i re-read the instuctions a dozen times. cant see anything i did wrong. any ideas on what im missing?? any similar experiances?

Did you try all 4 tests? When a buddy of mine installed a no slip into his front axle at first it wouldn't release. He stopped by my place and then between the two of us we got it to unlock in 3 of the tests and the 4th one wouldn't budge. He called powertrax (or whover bought them out) and they said not to worry about it (since it unlocked in 3 tests) and that it will loosen up.

what are all 4 tests? i only read two that i remember. i really just messed around with the first test. this is just my first locker install, so not really sure what to expect. and i didnt want to put the cover back on till im sure everything is right.

when i first put my no slip in the rear it would only unlock on one side, after oiling it up and running down the road a while all things functioned fine. might want to pop the cover and check and make sure all the springs are seating right

Ramsey said:
when i first put my no slip in the rear it would only unlock on one side, after oiling it up and running down the road a while all things functioned fine. might want to pop the cover and check and make sure all the springs are seating right

havent even put the cover back on. havent got that far. was trying to test it maje sure all was well before i put the cover on. double and tripple checked the springs. i cant see anything that i may have done wrong, so it may be just tight?

explorer said:
The (4) tests. Each wheel in each direction.

ok. i never got that far. never got past the first like pre-test thing they tell you to do. i get some help tomarrow after work and try it with two people.

Just remember that it actually needs a bit of pressure to unlock and lock, its not smooth as silk. If one person is holding a wheel down, spin the wheel witha little bit of force. Pushing with a finger generally isn't enough to get it to disengage, especially if it's not broken in.

Lucas said:
Just remember that it actually needs a bit of pressure to unlock and lock, its not smooth as silk. If one person is holding a wheel down, spin the wheel witha little bit of force. Pushing with a finger generally isn't enough to get it to disengage, especially if it's not broken in.

Yup, you might have to kind of snap it while the other person has to hold it tight in the opposite direction. If they loosen up it won't work. And the 4 tests means each wheel in each direction (2x2): try all of them and see what happens. Can you describe the pretest?

Can you remember if you reinstalled the thrust washers? Without these it'll stay locked. I drove around for months like this and the steering was hell. I finally pulled it all back out and realized that I never put the stock thrust washers in with the new locker. After adding just those, it worked like a charm.

Okie Terry said:
Can you remember if you reinstalled the thrust washers? Without these it'll stay locked. I drove around for months like this and the steering was hell. I finally pulled it all back out and realized that I never put the stock thrust washers in with the new locker. After adding just those, it worked like a charm.

yep, already checked that.

and i did try to put some effort into getting it to unlock. when i get home tongiht i'll get someone to help me, try that test. thanks for all the info.

ok, thanks for all the help. no problems, just a new to lockers and didnt know what to expect. part of the instructions kinda through me off...
"Your lock right install should now be complete. As a preliminary test only, prior to the final test on the next page, rotate the tires back and forth (transmission out of gear and drive shaft free). the drivers should randomly unlock and "click" as the tire move. note that the tires will not lock together...."
took this to mean it should be pretty easy to free-wheel one side. i think i went wrong in that, i tried this with the tires still off, and just trying to turn the hub. after i put the tires on, and tried the other test, it was fine.
so, one final question....
it says the tolerance limits between the drivers is .145 and .170. i measured around .172ish. is this going to cause a issue? should i look into getting new thrust washers to narrow it back down? or just leave it?

Back