• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Receiver Recovery Options

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a hitch to use as a recovery point. Now I need to get a insert. I was thinking about CrawlTech Offroad's Billet Aluminum 2" Receiver Shackle Mount with the 3/4" D-ring for $34-ish. Rated at 11,000 pounds. Which is way more than the hitch.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/news/2004_10/crawltech.html
4855190-R1-024-10A.jpg

D-ring style [stole pic from the "deep impact" thead on the Off-Topic Section.

I've also seen a tow hook receiver style.
http://www.truckstuffusa.com/rectowhookby.html

Any other types of receiver? And which one would be the best?

Last edited:
Pietro said:
why not just slip a 2" wide tow strap into the hitch and then insert the pin, way cheaper

the pin itself isnt designed as a recovery tool... VERY BAD IDEA..... cheap KILLS people!!!!! spend a few $$ for the proper equipment for the job... does your saftey and well-being really have a price tag that low???

i have a Warn shackle reciever as well as a big hook thats welded into a 2" bar.. i use the shackle as the primary.... reminds me of the group of guysi wouldnt take wheeling last year because they didnt have proper tow points and WOULDNT get them...

how can the pin be not strong enough? it is designed to hold the acceleration and stopping power of a trailer, why not recovery (obviously not over a few thousand pounds)

Pietro said:
how can the pin be not strong enough? it is designed to hold the acceleration and stopping power of a trailer, why not recovery (obviously not over a few thousand pounds)

its designed to be used to secure a tow bar, yes... but when it is used properly wouldnt the load be spread out more evenly across the pin?? a load on the center of the pin is taking a chance on bending the center of the pin and pulling it thru... how likely ?? probably not very... but i won't bank on it.. proper tool for the job.. i wont hook onto someone unless they have the right stuff too.... that also is not an acceptable recovery point by NAXJA standards without a shackle or hook in it...

i dont use it for winching purposes, only when hooking up truck to truck with a strap, i wouldn't trust it with the amount of tension a winch line can produce, but a quick tug from another truck, i dont see why it would break the pin

sidriptide said:
its designed to be used to secure a tow bar, yes... but when it is used properly wouldnt the load be spread out more evenly across the pin?? a load on the center of the pin is taking a chance on bending the center of the pin and pulling it thru... how likely ?? probably not very... but i won't bank on it.. proper tool for the job.. i wont hook onto someone unless they have the right stuff too.... that also is not an acceptable recovery point by NAXJA standards without a shackle or hook in it...
Not to mention the risk of cutting the strap on the edges of the receiver opening.

Pietro said:
i dont use it for winching purposes, only when hooking up truck to truck with a strap, i wouldn't trust it with the amount of tension a winch line can produce, but a quick tug from another truck, i dont see why it would break the pin

my point is that its not the right tool for the job.... it will work in a pinch and is commonly used by lots of people... but that is not its intended purpose and i wont bank anyones saftey on that pin being as strong as i "expect" it to be...
i say "bad idea" .. not "it won't work"...

Pietro said:
so can the receiver pin be classified just as bad as the JC Whitney chrome plated hooks? if these are in the same category, i am throwing my pin out now
only if the hooks are welded to the stock bumper.. otherwise they have no bearing on eachother (wisea$$) this is getting redundant..

if you think using the pin is a stupid idea, you should have seen what some of the locals drove in at the last NEUROC event i went to, i never imagined a yj with full width axles using steering linkage bent by a torch, but he kept the tires covered using trailer fenders welded to the body

Pietro said:
if you think using the pin is a stupid idea, you should have seen what some of the locals drove in at the last NEUROC event i went to, i never imagined a yj with full width axles using steering linkage bent by a torch, but he kept the tires covered using trailer fenders welded to the body

And this is related how. :huh: The point is get the right stuff or stay stuck, cuz no smart person is gonna risk their lives or anyone elses. :rattle:

Pietro said:
this is the last time i even come to this website, it is filled with nothing but boring fucks

Oh the threats, please don't go, I promise I'll be less boring....I'll even attach tow hooks to my bumper and pull on them so they knock my eyes out.......

Pietro said:
SPOBI... i tire of you

if you pull only on the pin - what happens if the pin bends in there? how do you get it out?

have fun...

Pietro said:
this is the last time i even come to this website, it is filled with nothing but boring fucks

[font=&quot]
Pietro said:
it wasn't a threat, but just like most other NAXJA members, jump to conclusions about every single word typed

look at these goofballs...

you either learn or get emotionally hurt trying to learn...
[/font]

Pietro said:
i'll miss yoU!

jeepguy97 said:
Oh the threats, please don't go, I promise I'll be less boring....I'll even attach tow hooks to my bumper and pull on them so they knock my eyes out.......

Can I join you, I've got way too many teeth! :hang:

Back