• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What stall Torque converter, AW4 with a 4:1

How bad are the stock torque converters for braking when in 1st gear 4wd low with a 4:1 in the T-case?

What RPM stall is stock?

Do you ever wish you had a higher stall when in the big rocks or on steep waterfalls that require a good fast bump?

Im doing an AW4 swap and a t-case swap (looking at 203-205 doubler) all at once so Id like your input before I install it (months from now). Gas mileage is not an issue, trail only rig.

What are good aftermarket sources for higher stall torque converts for the aw4?

:rattle:

ashmanjeepxj said:
How bad are the stock torque converters for braking when in 1st gear 4wd low with a 4:1 in the T-case?

What RPM stall is stock?

Do you ever wish you had a higher stall when in the big rocks or on steep waterfalls that require a good fast bump?

Im doing an AW4 swap and a t-case swap (looking at 203-205 doubler) all at once so Id like your input before I install it (months from now). Gas mileage is not an issue, trail only rig.

What are good aftermarket sources for higher stall torque converts for the aw4?

:rattle:

Don't know what the AW4 stall speed is. It holds pretty well with the 4 to 1 on steep downhills. On waterfalls and drop offs you need to use the brakes anyway, so it's not an issue, but on pretty steep descents I can go down without using the brakes.

As far as pushing in first gear and the brakes not being able to hold it, I've never had that problem. If I was going to change anything, I'd want a lower stall speed, but in reality it works pretty good the way it is now.

Goatman said:
Don't know what the AW4 stall speed is. It holds pretty well with the 4 to 1 on steep downhills. On waterfalls and drop offs you need to use the brakes anyway, so it's not an issue, but on pretty steep descents I can go down without using the brakes.

As far as pushing in first gear and the brakes not being able to hold it, I've never had that problem. If I was going to change anything, I'd want a lower stall speed, but in reality it works pretty good the way it is now.

Do your brakes even work when going downhill?

I liked the idea we devised on Sledge: a system that keeps the torque converter locked at all times, except when you touch the brake pedal. Very easy to rig a switch back there......

CRASH

Goatman said:
If I was going to change anything, I'd want a lower stall speed, but in reality it works pretty good the way it is now.

But then you cant get that quick thrust you need to hop up a tough water fall or big step. Some times you only have like 18in of flat ground to get some speed and bump it.

If It holds itself too well on steep climbs, then if you lift a tire and are about to go end over, all you can do is hit the brake and think about shifting into reverse but there probibly wont be time. With a 5sp if you hit the clutch you can roll back to where your tire is back on the ground, while your tryign to get it quickly into reverse..

What driving technique do you use for that kinda situation with the automatic? Is un locking the torque converter enough to let it roll back down the steep incline?

I've read that the stock stall speed is 2100, which seems about right in my experience. I don't have a 4:1 (2.72:1) but I also don't have 42s, so we probably balance out to about the same in that regard. I really like the stock stall, plenty of crawl but still great "bumpability", although I haven't tried any other stall speed...

I am not aware of anyone making different torque convertors for AW4s, you may have to look into the Toyota market for that (A340, i think).

For me, I just threw the truck into neutral. There is no need to push the shift buttom in from forward to neutral. Just slam it. Gravity should take care of the rest.

ashmanjeepxj said:
But then you cant get that quick thrust you need to hop up a tough water fall or big step. Some times you only have like 18in of flat ground to get some speed and bump it.

If It holds itself too well on steep climbs, then if you lift a tire and are about to go end over, all you can do is hit the brake and think about shifting into reverse but there probibly wont be time. With a 5sp if you hit the clutch you can roll back to where your tire is back on the ground, while your tryign to get it quickly into reverse..

What driving technique do you use for that kinda situation with the automatic? Is un locking the torque converter enough to let it roll back down the steep incline?

From experience, it bumps just fine. To me, a lower stall speed, rather than a higher stall speed, would give you a better bump. That stall speed isn't exact, and you get forward thrust at a much lower rpm than the actual stall speed......depending on the load. A higher stall speed would give you more slop, in a sense, and less control.

No, relying on the rpm's to drop and the torque converter to slip isn't nearly quick enough. I have slapping it quickly into reverse down to a science.......I'm very proficient at it. :)

Back