• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

simple question

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I got the Generation II sway bar disconnects from RE and I was wondering if the bolt on the lower mount came out.I took off the connector that hooks up to the sway bar but the bolt doesnt want to seem to come out is it supposed to? A pic would be great. Thanks
98 XJ

are u talking about the bolt on the axle?? If so.. its a splined stud...at least it was on my 95. I had to heat it and pound it out.

the bolt on the lower mount that u need the star shaped tool to get off (i forgot what it was called).it had a nut on the other end and it held the sway bar link in place before u take it off. if that helps

Yes! Thats it! I took a breaker bar and a torx driver to it. Never even moved! Ended up finding it was a splined stud. Take the nut off then pound it out. I bent the mount i had to hit it that hard!!

It Is Pressed In!

I had to use the flame wrench too! That mofo was in there good! I live in the rust belt which doesnt help.

I used a 1lb hammer on one side of the stud and a 5lb sledge on the other and "worked out some issues" for about 20 min. with the hammer using the sledge to absorb some of the force from the axle bracket.

HTH

-P

It's splined and pressed in there really tight. The torx head is just to screw with anyone not familiar with it.

Back