• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights

wilewil

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ. The "book" says that you disassemble the entire dash to replace! Is there a better way? I have two lights out and expect more soon. I sure will replace them all if that is what is really required.

Pull the center bezel around the radio/ac and start removing screws :D You will eventually get down to the instrument cluster, remove the cluster and turn it around, the bulbs are in the back, twist turn to remove. Just go buy a dozen and do em all at once... Disconnect the battery and let it sit for 20 min or so, you'll be fooling around with the airbag indicator ckt and one never knows, beside the FSM recommends the battery disconnect. Also check the two connectors on the back, they are called 'self docking' when putting the panel back in but be gentle, dont' bend any... total time about 1 hour...

Make that ~15 small ones, 3 small blue ones and 3 large ones like are used in the marker lights. Sorry, don't know the sizes, bought 3 boxes of them and put them in my plastic drawers months ago.

Last edited:
Like they said, "it's not hard". Infact the hardest part is getting the trim bezel around the headlight switch off it's a very tight fit, but will come with persistance.

You'll also need to disconnect the speedometer cable. If you don't, the cluster will not come out. The cluster will only pull out far enough to get your fingers back there to disconnect. You can also crawl under your rig and disconnect it from the tranny. It simple unscrews at the tranny. Hope this helps.

JaysXJ said:
You'll also need to disconnect the speedometer cable. If you don't, the cluster will not come out. The cluster will only pull out far enough to get your fingers back there to disconnect. You can also crawl under your rig and disconnect it from the tranny. It simple unscrews at the tranny. Hope this helps.

84-90 have a cable, 91-up are electric. AW4 was used from 87-01.

That was the year I was thinking for the cable. I just figured they switched with the AW4. My pre 97 is not to good yet, but I'm picking it up slowly.

Back