• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would a worn trans mount cause noise?

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
At idle I can hear a noise come from the transmission tunnel. It's a 91 Auto, with the 231 transfer case. I drove it up on ramps and crawled under to listen and sounded like the noise was coming through the cross member. But lying there and listening it sounded like it was about at the point where the trans and transfer case join. It's very hard to tell. I did press up on the tail cone of the transfer case and the noise seemed to stop. I think the mount is old and compressed and allowing metal to touch metal. Is this a problem with cherokees?

tompatjr said:
At idle I can hear a noise come from the transmission tunnel. It's a 91 Auto, with the 231 transfer case. I drove it up on ramps and crawled under to listen and sounded like the noise was coming through the cross member. But lying there and listening it sounded like it was about at the point where the trans and transfer case join. It's very hard to tell. I did press up on the tail cone of the transfer case and the noise seemed to stop. I think the mount is old and compressed and allowing metal to touch metal. Is this a problem with cherokees?

Yes when the mount collapses the exhaust hits the cross member.

Back