• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Tool? : Which one.. Die Grinder or Cutoff tool?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to pick up a new air tool w/some leftover Christmas money I have. I've narrowed it down to either a nice angle die-grinder or cut-off tool. My question is whether or not they are almost the same tool?

I'm leaning towards a die-grinder as I think it could be used as a cut-off tool, but not sure it's the proper use. This is something that will be used on occasion for my Jeep and other work. Which tool would you buy and what do you use more?

I know this is pretty broad... but if you could have only one, which would it be and why?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd go for the cutoff tool. I seldom use my die grinder. The cutoff tool has a guard. In the event the wheel shatters you'll have some protection...I've yet to see a die grinder that has a guard. Read the product specs and use the tool as designed and you should be ok....for what it's worth, the cutoff tool is very useful.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

Beware that a cutoff tool and a die grinder both use tons of compressed air. Unless you have a pretty good size compressor, you will do a lot of waiting between operations. Because they don't get all that much use, compared to something like a DA sander for me, I went with the cheaper models. I have yet to have one crap out, but some of the cheaper ones do use a bit more air. I've been using a cheap Harbor Freight and a cheap Craftsman cutoff. Both work equally well and have lasted may years. The secret is to make sure and put an inline oiler on them. That can be a pain when working around body work, with getting the oil on things, but for straight fab, it's not a big problem.

PB Blaster also sells an air tool conditioning product...looks just like the regular PB Blaster penetrant can... except the fluid is red.

On a tip from an old bodyman I recently rejuvenated an old Craftsman 3/8" ratchet that was getting very slow....pored lacquer thinner in the input and ran it through, followed by the conditioner. Lots of dark gray dirt came out with the lacquer thinner. Did this two or three times and the ratchet works great now.

Many companies use Marvel Mystery Oil to lubricate their pneumatic tools.

Jay in MA

I just got a Ex-Cell (by DeVILBISS) model ETX2 grinder/cutoff tool. The cutoff tool guard can be removed and you can use grinding stones. The kit came with a hard plastic case, 2 cutoff wheels, 10 stones and even an air hose fitting. If you can't find one get a cut-off tool. I use my cutoff lots more than my air die grinder. The cheapest ones stall out all the time, so spend just a bit more for a decent one. ($35.00)

Back