• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you frequently drive through deep water? If the answer is yes and you have a lift, recovery gear, and good tires, then yes a snorkle is a good investment because it's a helluva lot cheaper than a new engine. If you want to spend money in other areas, I'd go the hombrew route and make you own intake to prevent consumption. Making your own snorkle is another option.

jeepguy97 said:
Do you frequently drive through deep water? If the answer is yes and you have a lift, recovery gear, and good tires, then yes a snorkle is a good investment because it's a helluva lot cheaper than a new engine. If you want to spend money in other areas, I'd go the hombrew route and make you own intake to prevent consumption. Making your own snorkle is another option.

i second that

If you have to ask if you need one, then no you do not need it . Just another thing to get ripped off while on the trail.

Just a fast note.... I say make your own. The ARB version is nice. The original snorkels used on some other vehicles like Rovers and Cruisers also have a replacable inlet for dirt and sand so they are used for other reasons then water crossings. Some of my friends that have installed the ARB snorkel gain some milage on the highway. We like to go through water so it's just added security. This is by no means the ultimate poser mod. That's just a load of crap. If someone is using it just for looks "yes"... if it is being used for the purpose it was designed for then "no". Maybe I'm still a newbie to this group... but I am no newb to wheeling. Started back in 1980. To me the ultimate poser is that guy at work that owns a Jeep with rock armor, lifted, swampers, winch, ARB bullbar, lockers and more goodies then I care to list. But the jeep has never seen dirt. This guy spends more time waxing it and admiring himself in the paints reflection as well as using it to pick up chicks then taking it offroad. Oh and not to mention his vanity plate "RockCrwlr". Yeah right...

When you get down to it the answer is if you think it is worth it.

Beezil said:
where is the voting option for "most ultimate poseur mod" ???

well?

What Beezil said.

A snorkel is nothing but a tree snagger.

Unless you are really going to be taking your Jeep into water that is over the hood I wouldn't bother.

I like the mod on madxj.com that relocates the factory snorkel to breathe through the base of the windsheild. Gonna do that one eventually.

r@m

I've been wheeling with 3 different people who have hydrolocked their jeeps just in the last 6 months. So yes, to me it's worth it, because I would much rather spend the $270 for a snorkel than throw a rod. But I live in Florida, where basically all we do is mess around in mud and flag ponds. If I were back in Michigan, I'd say it's a poseur mod.

-Keith

I got my snorkle for several reasons. First and foremost is that I drive on a lot of real dusty roads. Before the snorkle, on an outing I would have to clean the air filter every day, It got the intake up and away from the heavy dust.

As it turns out I was running it on a 2.5L at the time. It actually added 4mph top speed on the freeway due apparently from the ram air effect.

I have done several water crossings that would have seriously bothered me otherwise. A snorkle by itself does little by itself to keep an engine running in water, there are tons of other things that need to be done as well, but It helps. Anyway, it looks cool.

PS for water crossings, you might want to check your door seals. Generally they suck bigtime.

Root Moose said:
I like the mod on madxj.com that relocates the factory snorkel to breathe through the base of the windsheild. Gonna do that one eventually.

r@m

Have you had any problem with ice accumulating in this area in the winter? I normally clean all of the snow off of the XJ but there is the occasional time where it freezes a bit before I clean if off. Also, what keeps rain from getting sucked into the intake hose? It seems like a cheap and trail safe alternative to a snorkle.

With the 2.5L, I actually increased the top end by 4-5mph.

my hillbilly buddy made his own snorkle, and instead of having it ran through the oem airbox, he just ran straight to the throttle body, i bet that would give it better performance because it doesnt have to go through the airbox. but either way i would think it to pick up a few poinies like the old man's.

the hillbilly way might be a bit more dangerous haha, but hes not worried about fxxxxxxx anything up though.

Last edited by a moderator:
spaulman said:
Have you had any problem with ice accumulating in this area in the winter? I normally clean all of the snow off of the XJ but there is the occasional time where it freezes a bit before I clean if off. Also, what keeps rain from getting sucked into the intake hose? It seems like a cheap and trail safe alternative to a snorkle.
This is definately something I am concerned with. I figure it is something that you have to be concious of and make sure that snow is cleared before going. Not that big a deal - you have to do that anyway unless you like having your windows fogged up inside.

For rain, etc. I don't see that as a big deal. The little bit of rain that does go through still needs to get broken up by the air filter. Think of it as water injection. LOL

r@m

no extra power for me. someone put a cansiter style high flow filter on theres someone on the web (might give more power). having to use stock airbox sucks!!! cant cut fenders very high either. still is absolutely priceless when you watch others hydrolock motor because jeep puts the airbox inlet behind the headlight

the homefab snorkels look like $hit! and i would only "make my own" on a trail only red-neck rig...

the cowl induction mod seems feasable, but i think that the snorkel is worth the $$$ if you need one and DD your rig and care about what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back