• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear towhook and brakets for 97+

robbieyukon said:
who makes a rear factory towhook setup for the newer XJs, something like the front kits?

For something stronger and more available, a rear Class III hitch would be a better idea unless something prevents you from doing that...

Ditto to what Ecksjay said.

1) A rear receiver hitch is very much stronger than the factory hook. It mounts on both frame rails instead of just one, plus more bolts hold each side in than just the hook.

2) The rear receiver hitch will act to protect your rear when you drop off a ledge you will hit the hitch which is strong.

3) The recovery point will be in the center instead of on the drivers side.

4) You can get a receiver for the hitch that accepts a d-ring shackle which has many advantages to a hook, or you can get a hook too if you like.

Be sure if you get a hitch put on that they install a nut rail inside the frame rail. Dealers might not have this part any more, maybe some aftermarket places will have it , or go to a boneyard. It is the ONLY way to safely install the receiver hitch so that it will be properly mounted to the frame rails. Make sure you get a class III receiver hitch.

Most pulling is done with straps, and they fall off hooks easily. If you put them into a d-ring it will stay in there without falling out. Big advantage over a hook.

My 2¢,

Jeff-97XJ

the nut-strips are still available for $27 /ea... a friend just got some this week... these are really a "must have" item.. do some searching on hitches and nut strips and you will turn up the part #s....

For 97-up I think you only need the left one since the exhaust hanger uses a right one. Here's the #'s if you want them.

52001175 left side
52001174 right side

robbieyukon:

If you decide to do the class III hitch, let me know. I've got one out in the garage I'll let go for a steal. I also made custom nut rails for it, welding the nuts to some flat plate that slides inside the frame. The hitch came with large washers, didn't feel that was strong enough. I have no idea what shipping to MD would be though.

Mines an '89, is there a difference as far as mounting the hitch/frame rails go? I don't think so. :dunno:

XJZ said:
robbieyukon:

Mines an '89, is there a difference as far as mounting the hitch/frame rails go? I don't think so. :dunno:

Some of the earlier ones have a third mounting near the hatch striker which it looks like might work on a later one.

I just threw out a class I hitch. I used it for about a year strictly for recovery. It worked fine. But if you get REALLY stuck it might break on you. Class III hitches are on sale all the time on ebay for $80 or so. Some even come with the nut strip. Later.

Back