• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much can a unibody take

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
I was just curious about a couple of things.....I am probably gonna be buying another vehicle as a trail rig, and was wondering just how long a unibody can last as a trail rig. I mean would it be better to built a Wrangler with a fram as a trail rig, or just build up an XJ? How much stronger is a frame, how long will a unibody last? It probably won't see a huge amount of rock crawaling, but how long does it take for flex and such from wheeling to really do a unibody in?

I have never done anything too extreme, but I have done light trail running and I have done several jumps with 5 feet of air (scary at 80mph) and I am turning 200K on my 96, and it is a tight and solid as the day I got it. All panels line up well, and it is in great shape. I think they strengthened the frame at some point before 96 because mine feels like a vault compared to some of the 80's and early 90's XJs I have driven.

Back