• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking through grille and behind headlights????

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
i was driving my 88 xj last night and i came to a stop and noticed, in my headlight beams, smoke coming from the grille. sure enough, when i got home i popped the hood and it smelt like burning oil. any thoughts on what it could be? after closer inspection, i discovered what looks like a leaky fuel injector on the #6. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!!

If you've found evidence of leaking on the injectors, you'd be wise to immediately stop driving it and fix it! The early injectors are known to leak at the seam, and have been known to burn up the vehicle.

OEM Tech

mine did the same thing...oil dripping onto my exhaust.fixed oil leaks by redoing the engine seals (main,pan,oilfilter adapter,valve cover,distributer oring) and doesn't smoke anymore.

don't sleep on a leaky injector :scared:

glad to know im not alone here. im just not very excited at all about that rear main. sounds like its gonna suck to do. anybody know how much a shop would charge to fix that? i think i can do the injector myself...doesnt sound too hard. thanks!

Depending on what yr Xj you have it might not be your rear seal. On my 90 mj it ended up being a leaky gasket at the distributor. it took a long time for me to diagnose this problem. If you have a pre 92 motor and you are leaking oil try taking an 86 CJ7 pcv valve and grommet and placing them in the grommet opening. Then where the line connects to the intake, unscrew that, and use a BRASS air chuck and screw that into the intake. I ended up using about 20" of 3/8 fuel line as the tubing. This along with replacing the distributor gasket has eliminated my oil leak

As for the injector... if you are leaking gas get it fixed. the injectors are kinda a pain to replace so if you can afford it.. replace them all. Use vasoline on the o-rings to make it easy to put together,

Patrick

olivedrabcj7 said:
glad to know im not alone here. im just not very excited at all about that rear main. sounds like its gonna suck to do.

The rear main seal on mine is a 2 piece seal... which makes it alot easier to replace...

just a thought..

I found doing the injectors wasn't too bad at all - I could probably pull the fuel rail and have them all out in 20 minutes if I had to do it again. Make sure you try those Ford 19# injectors instead of the expensive Renix ones from Schucks if you can, I spent $150 on two REnix ones before learning I could use the ford ones.

does the oil burning off under there not pose as a fire hazard?

Mine leaks like the Valdez and I never had it catch fire or anything. It just smokes REALLY bad. I gotta get that fixed 'cause I'm sure that can't be too good for the environment. But no it won't catch fire.

Mine did that too. It turned out to be the seals on the pcv coming off the valve cover were cracked and blowing steamy stuff. I replaved the system and no more trouble. Its cheaper and easier than doing a rear main (took me about 10 hours overall, only 4 or so of focused work) and pretty cheap. Hope this helps
-Steve D

ok i just spent the afternoon pulling the injectors and replacing the o rings (top and bottom) on the injectors. i put it all back together and flip the key forward and VOILA!! no more leaky injectors.........BUT..........the fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail is dripping gas at about 2 drops per second (pretty damn fast).......i know the fuel line goes into that has 3 o rings on it (two orange ones and a hard plastic one between them. and they looked a little worn...but besides that, what could be causing this?????

Back