• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External Slave vs. Internal Slave

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
What are the pros and cons of each? I've had a thread going in OEM Tech for a while because my clutch keeps going out even after a new master cylinder. Thinking I might need a new slave and debating sticking with an internal or making it external. Dealing with an AX-15 on a '93 XJ.

I used to let my gimp outside but he kept getting away. Now it's back in the trunk after every use.

kid4lyf said:
I used to let my gimp outside but he kept getting away. Now it's back in the trunk after every use.
:huh:

lol, funny:wave:

I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm in the process of gathering the parts to swap out my BA/10 for the AX15 and am having trouble finding the rest of the parts for the external setup. I have a '90 AX15 and need BH, Clutch, and internals. Its easy/cheap to get them for the internal setup.

Do they go out as mutch (the internal slave) as in the BA/10?

I figure if im going to do this swap, i might as well do it the best it can be and go external.

One of the things that can cause a problem with the internal type is the pressure plate fingers. If they are uneven in level or pressure then it can cause the slave to go out.

Assuming my slave is bad again, this will be the second one in the last 28,000 miles or 3 years for me.

jjvande said:

I'm interested in this topic as well. I'm in the process of gathering the parts to swap out my BA/10 for the AX15 and am having trouble finding the rest of the parts for the external setup. I have a '90 AX15 and need BH, Clutch, and internals. Its easy/cheap to get them for the internal setup.

I figure if im going to do this swap, i might as well do it the best it can be and go external.

Ebay for clutch pressureplate and throwout bearing (200 bucks) there is a seller out of FL that has great deals on OE stuff. Clutch city or something like that.

Bell should be easy to get I "believe" any AX-15 bell will work with external and internal (Forgot to check for XJ92 last night) then you need the front retainer (90bucks) front seal (4 bucks) the slave/master setup (100 bucks for OE combo) also the fulcrum pivot arm (30 bucks)

After fighting with the internal when I did my swap from the BA/10 if I did it over again I would have just did the external first and saved ALOT of time and money. The external does not get as hot as the internal on the trails either because it is outside the bell. The other thing to think about is "most" good quality clutches will last 100K + but try getting that out of an internal slave with trail usage. I got so quick doing a R&R start to finish I was down to about 3 hours by myself. If you can spend the few extra bucks go external.

As always just MHO

Here's what I've calculated so far. I've never seen the parts inside the tranny or clutch, and some people use different terms to refer to the same thing, so if some of these are the same thing let me know.

New OEM Master, Slave, & Line Kit $215 (dealer quote)
94+ Bellhousing? $80 (local junkyard price)
New throw out bearing $75
Fulcrum pivot arm $30
Seal $4
Bearing retainer $90
Clutch fork $20

Total $514

xj92 said:
Here's what I've calculated so far. I've never seen the parts inside the tranny or clutch, and some people use different terms to refer to the same thing, so if some of these are the same thing let me know.

New OEM Master, Slave, & Line Kit $215 (dealer quote) CRAZY EXPENSIVE you can get OEM for 100 bucks online take 145 off of your price
94+ Bellhousing? $80 (local junkyard price)
New throw out bearing $75
Fulcrum pivot arm $30 (same as clutch fork)
Seal $4
Bearing retainer $90
Clutch fork $20

Total $514
- $ 145
360 or so

http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p140.htm
Part number 4636382 (front retainer 97.95)
Part number 5252053 (seal 4.95)

http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p83.htm
Part number 52107600 (Master slave combo 125.95)

http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p82.htm
Part number 53008342 (Throw out bearing 23.95)

http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p84.htm
Part number 52107555 (clutch fork 28.95)

The Bell Is the same from what I found I will confirm tonight

Total 281.75 + shipping

ALL of their parts are OEM, same place I ordered my stuff from

So for 100 bucks more than what you said the internal slave was you can be rid of that dam thing

Sounds good, I'm working on returning the Master I just bought ($156.60) so I can put it towards it, we'll see if they let me.

what is this "bearing retainer"

and did you say that any bellhousing will work?...it has to be the external one right?

That stuff is adding up fast!

dont you have to also use a pilot bushing from a CJ or something?

and also, because i have a '90 tranny and will be converting it to external...do i still order the clutch/TObearing for the '90-'92?

Thanks

Last edited:
In my case, it appears that my master AND slave both have problems and I'm tired of bleeding the system and messing around with it, so I'm just ordering the stuff zipdrive007 mentioned and I'll go from there. The problem with diagnosing a bad clutch is that you don't know if it's the master or the slave that's bad and if you buy both you're almost up to the price of the swap or even past it depending where you buy the parts from. I returned my Carquest Master and put in the old one again. My clutch is even worse now, so the Master definitely has problems, but the new master didn't solve everything, hence it being a problem possibly with both master and slave.

I don't know the answer to your other question yet, hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Just as a follow-up for future reference, I used exactly the parts ZipDrive007 listed above but I did have to buy the bellhousing too, they are different. '93 and earlier don't have a bellhousing that is compatible with the external slave, '94-? are compatible. My total out-of-pocket cost for everything with tax and shipping was $390. If I had to do it again I'd think twice about it just because of the cost, but to pay a shop to drop the tranny and replace the slave alone cost me $200 last time I had it done, so it's a toss-up.

One more useful piece of information Zipdrive told me that was useful, you'll need an E12 reverse torx socket for the top 2 bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine and a 3-foot extension to get to them.

jjvande said:

Ok I've been doing some thread digging because I'm doing the peugot to ax15 swap and am wondering if you got your swap done?I've got the ax and external slave bell,but I still need all the other parts and some more advice concerning pilot bushing part # and any other important tidbits you can enlighten me on?

Back