• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Second XJ in the family..

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
Well I went and bought another one yesterday.

this will be my project vehicle..

1988 Cherokee Laredo
Grey
NP242
D44 rear
Towing Package
Power seats,locks and windows. Every thing works.
200,009 on the clock

I paid $1200 for it... a little much, but the body and interior is in excelent shape.. no dents or rust and the paint shines, no stains. EXCEPT THE SMELL:eek: :eek: It smelled like 400lb women with 10 kids lived in it...I sprayed a whole bottle of Febreez in it and set up my ozone generator and ran it all night. smells a little better... I think I will strip the interior and shampoo everything.

Engine has a valve cover gasket leak and possible rear main seal leak. Compression is good, no noise. I will put the standard tune up stuff in it.

Shocks are shot... bouncy bouncy on the way home., and the brakes need to be redone.

I will post a pic when I take one.

My other one is a 87 pioneer with the dana44 in the rear..(I am lucky to get two :D)

Oops forgot to ask my Question.

do I have to remove the radiator to replace the fan clutch?

is it a pain?

I know it is shot, when the engine shuts of.. the fan keeps spining for about 5 minutes... :D :D well it seems that long :D

Ringkong,

I not very hard. You will need to remove the electric fan. You disconnect the fan,ll loosen the two bolts at the top and lift out the fan assembly. Make sure not to lose the two sheetmetal nuts for the electric fan.

To remove the mechanical fan remove the two bolts for the shroud and put the sheet metal nuts and bolts in a safe place. If I recall use a 1/2 inch wrench to loosen all 4 nuts for the fan clutch, this will take some time. Then lift out the fan and should together. You will not be able to lift out the shroud or the fan by itself.

Place the fan on the work bench and use two sockets of the same size on the 4 bolts that attach the fan to the clutch. Use one wrench to "hold" the fan while you loosen the other 3 bolts.

With the fan clutch in hand go to your local parts store. You most likely have the Jeep part number stincled on but the manufacturer was AC/Delco. Go buy a fan clutch that looks just like it, do not get one that is taller, if you do then you will have to remove the radiator to reinstall. I found a carbon copy clutch at carquest after I had been to autozone and got this Imperial "universal" that would require removal of the raditor to install.

While you have the fan clutch out it would be a good time to install a new belt. I'd also install a new idle pulley, the one next to the AC compressor. This would be a good time to check the bearings in all the accessories, may show you the water pump may need service. With a new fan belt you know what you have... I had my belt break because I thought it had been changed before.

If you want tips on installing a belt just ask.

Depending on how much work you want to do this would be a good time to change radiator hoses, change coolant, even stick in a new radiator. But we can talk about that if you want.

Martin

martin said:
Ringkong,

I not very hard. You will need to remove the electric fan. You disconnect the fan,ll loosen the two bolts at the top and lift out the fan assembly. Make sure not to lose the two sheetmetal nuts for the electric fan.

To remove the mechanical fan remove the two bolts for the shroud and put the sheet metal nuts and bolts in a safe place. If I recall use a 1/2 inch wrench to loosen all 4 nuts for the fan clutch, this will take some time. Then lift out the fan and should together. You will not be able to lift out the shroud or the fan by itself.

Place the fan on the work bench and use two sockets of the same size on the 4 bolts that attach the fan to the clutch. Use one wrench to "hold" the fan while you loosen the other 3 bolts.

With the fan clutch in hand go to your local parts store. You most likely have the Jeep part number stincled on but the manufacturer was AC/Delco. Go buy a fan clutch that looks just like it, do not get one that is taller, if you do then you will have to remove the radiator to reinstall. I found a carbon copy clutch at carquest after I had been to autozone and got this Imperial "universal" that would require removal of the raditor to install.

While you have the fan clutch out it would be a good time to install a new belt. I'd also install a new idle pulley, the one next to the AC compressor. This would be a good time to check the bearings in all the accessories, may show you the water pump may need service. With a new fan belt you know what you have... I had my belt break because I thought it had been changed before.

If you want tips on installing a belt just ask.

Depending on how much work you want to do this would be a good time to change radiator hoses, change coolant, even stick in a new radiator. But we can talk about that if you want.

Martin

Oh it needs work... :D

thanks for the tip on the autozone clutch... I will be taking the new one back to them. (I allready bought one..:anon: )

Now if you could help me with the cattle smell... :D

Take it to a auto detailing shop and have the steam clean the interior. That should solve the problem.

My parents had rental property, a family with 4 kids lived there. Long story short the wife had a "unique" smell. She was a large lady and never went to the basement so there was no smell in the carpets. We had the rugs steam cleaned and the odor was gone.

Martin

Back