• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the Cam on a 4L HO engine

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible for me to get a better cam, longer duration etc... for my 98 HO engine. If yes what did you notice after? gains ... etc...
If not, whats involved in doing so...:p
want some more juice out of my XJ :)!

The cam is usually the last step up the ladder of performance mods for the 4.0 because it involves tearing apart half of the engine. It's a full day's work. Go to my site and take a look at the mods that I did to my old 4.0 before I swapped in the stroker. I basically did all the external bolt-ons first and then finally ported the head and raised the CR. I still had the stock cam by that point but decided that rather than do a cam swap on a 174k mile old engine to gain 9hp/15lbft, I'd build a stroker instead to gain 23hp/41lbft.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

ok, i understand the deal:p

yea, I'm in the process of a tear down, and it would be nearly impossible to do it with the engine still in the jeep.

I agree with dyno try some "bolt on's" I recomend an intake and TBS it makes that 4.0L sound like it should. and its only ~$100 for all of it.

good luck!

Back