• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproofing my XJ

engsapper

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to waterproof the many diffent areas that can take on water Axels, distibutor and so on, I see a lot of ideas for air in take but that is about it.
Any suggestions

Jay

Sappers lead the way

The oldest trick around for the ignition is "Aqua Net" hair spray!

I see that I have one vent tube under my hood by the fire wall which should be plenty high enough but the back axel tube goes in to the frame does it stop there?

and what to do about the distbutor?

Jay

I put a small bead of silicone between the distributor and the cap but before i did that I drilled a small hole in the cap and installed a hose with a vent. i have good results with this. I hope it helps.

testing photo
before pic

92f2b0bfe1.jpg

Don't fill my PM message box up with shit you can ask here. I meant first you ask about waterprofing and now you post a pic. The pic forum is for pics, the test forum is for testing.

It's funny...I have never gotten my ignition wet...the problem I have had is getting water in the air filter housing...and water & mud in the front axle housing...guess I need a snorkel, or to route the air from the interior of the cab.

does anyone know where i could find a write up , preferrably with pics, on where to route vent tubes from axels, t-case and auto transmission.
i know to use SS fuel lines but would like to know what size , how connections are done , where to run the lines etc.

what do you think about running the end line up the back of the jeep between the taillight and rubber seal for the hatch?

could not find posts on this subj.

I ran all my vents lines up the top of the engine bay and clamped them down. I also have a snorkel and actually used it two days ago. Def seal your distributor cap and plug wires. Yesterday I pulled out my carpet yet again to get all the water out and started sealing the heck out of anything that would look like it would let water in. Any and all bolts, screws and plugs in the floor are covered in rtv. Also, the seals on your doors let most water in. What I did last night was fill the seals with expanding foam. There are drain holes about every 8" or so in the seals. Stick the straw in each hole and fill till it comes out another hole. Let it set up and that will give you a better seal. Also, your doors let water in, behind the cover deals where the plastic is. There are tons of holes in doors and if its not sealed properly it will let water in. I also sealed all electrical boxes under the dash, tranny computer (which mine doesnt work anyways), car alarm box and anything else that has electrical components that could corode. You also have to seal up anything coming into the cab from the engine bay. Its not an easy task. Have fun and good luck. Jeff

CamoXJeep said:
I ran all my vents lines up the top of the engine bay and clamped them down. I also have a snorkel and actually used it two days ago. Def seal your distributor cap and plug wires. Yesterday I pulled out my carpet yet again to get all the water out and started sealing the heck out of anything that would look like it would let water in. Any and all bolts, screws and plugs in the floor are covered in rtv. Also, the seals on your doors let most water in. What I did last night was fill the seals with expanding foam. There are drain holes about every 8" or so in the seals. Stick the straw in each hole and fill till it comes out another hole. Let it set up and that will give you a better seal. Also, your doors let water in, behind the cover deals where the plastic is. There are tons of holes in doors and if its not sealed properly it will let water in. I also sealed all electrical boxes under the dash, tranny computer (which mine doesnt work anyways), car alarm box and anything else that has electrical components that could corode. You also have to seal up anything coming into the cab from the engine bay. Its not an easy task. Have fun and good luck. Jeff

thanks, and how did you know my name? :)
Jeff

The best spot to run them to is inside your intake system.... that way the only way they could suck any water is if your engine alreday is. Most military vehicles are rigged this way, even the fuel tank vets there in a HMMWV. The lines meet up before in a series of T's and eventually go into one line that meets the intake pipe.

It does lead to some interesting situations, such as ATF in the air filter if an operator overfills his transmission, but it keeps the water out.

Engsapper, are you a 21B?

Back