• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lesson learned the hard way. (Wheels)

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd pass this on so maybe someone will learn from my mistake.

I put a new set of tires on Thursday, everything went well.

Wheel MFG says to recheck torque of lugnuts after XXX miles (AR Outlaw II)

Dumbass me didn't, L/F comes loose, and eggs out my mounting holes.

Needless to say, I'll be replacing that wheel ASAP.

Lesson Learned: periodically check and recheck your lugnuts.

P.S. I know it's coming, yes all of my tires were there... :anon:

Last edited:
Also for those with steel wheels the lug nuts might bottom out before the wheel is tight on some aftermarket wheels.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Took a wheel off to check my brakes. Put the tire back on, but when I used the torque sticks that my autoshop uses to keep the right specs on the lug nuts, it didnt work right. So 5 miles down the road, I start to feel a shimmy. Naturally its a long windy road with nowhere to pull off of. So finally get off, and see that my tire had about 1 turn of the lug nuts keeping them on. That would have ended badly......... :gag:

From then on, I tighten them by hand and check every couple of weeks.

Well John ... at least it did not come all the way off this time! Sorry it happened.

Hey ... we all are "Dumass" sometime or another. Maybe we can make this an honorary board name ... kind of a medal.

Les

I had the same thing happen to me after i swapped out my front axle.

I had to run out to Lowes to get some hardware for another project and 3/4 of the way back home i apply brake pressure to slow down for a 30mph curve in a 50mph road and the pedal went to the floor because the wheel wasnt holding the rotor tight. a few pumps put some pressure back in the system and i could stop to see what was wrong. When i got out i saw the front driver's side only had 4 studs left, 3 with lug nuts, none with more than 1/4 inch of thread left

Same here. Friend just HAD to try out his new impact wrench on my wheels- didn't torque a single one of them down- pulled over in hazard lane on I-81 and about 3 lugs on every wheel were able to be turned by hand.

Back