• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95-96 brake booster

diabloxj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone upgraded to the newer brake booster? the like how-to they have on madxj.com? i want to do this to mine seeing i have the a newer 8.8 with disks. i could use a little more braking power. if any has done it please let me know what u did, how it went, and any problems you had. thanks for your time.

yes i did and went great. only problems is I havn't put in my washer fluid resivor yet. and my brakelights will stay on sometimes but only like twice in the past 7 months.

Did Mine just like madxj.....only I didn't get the 1/4" factory spacer and used washers instead...

Get the spacer! :lecture:

Otherwise I love the swap! I also have an 8.8 in back and consider the booster swap one of my best mods

I did mine on a 1990 MJ 5 spd and there are a couple of things to consider. I too suggest finding the 1/4" bracket. Every thing fits but it is tight. I did not swap the push rods. I drilled the hole to 9/16"+ and I took a grinder and flatened it on one side. This is a critical dimension. So take a little off at a time. If you take off too little the brake lights stay on and if you take off to much then the brake lights won't come on. I also put blue locktite on the bolt.

I used the edelmann adaptors for the brake line as per the write up. Only place I could find them was NAPA. (I also have a cross reference list to a couple of other manufactures if you need it) Don't waste your time with a tube bender. It is too sharpe of a bend and tight to the windshield wiper fluid bottle. I used coat hanger to pattern the new brake lines. One other idea is that you could use the 95-96 original flarenuts and bubble(?) still flare. Buy your straight steel lines that fit the original master cylinder about 18" long. Then you can double flare the other end where they into the proportioning valve. That would give you a little more room and make a nicer looking job. IMHO. Again I did not do it that way but it is worth considering.

I just finshed this up last week so if you have any other questions email me.

But the bottom line is much better brakes. :wave:

Sounds like my 94 XJ was the easy one. Didn't have to bother with a spacer, operating rod adjustment, switch, etc. Only issue was using a metric-SAE adapter on the master cylinder, sourced at the local parts shop near my folks.

This is *DEFINITELY* a worthwhile mod for pre-95 XJs.

ChiXJeff said:
Sounds like my 94 XJ was the easy one. Didn't have to bother with a spacer, operating rod adjustment, switch, etc. Only issue was using a metric-SAE adapter on the master cylinder, sourced at the local parts shop near my folks.

This is *DEFINITELY* a worthwhile mod for pre-95 XJs.

My experience was like Jeff's. It was a very good brake improvement over the old booster, and definitely worth doing.

WJ Brake Booster/Master

12.jpg

I just did the master/booster swap from a 2000 WJ. It is fantastic. There are certain things that I've gotten so used to driving an XJ. Rattling, wind noise, weak brakes.... Guess I can cross that one off the list. I highly recommend this swap.

Back