• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ, temp gauge sender location,anyone?

The sensor is the same one as the engine controller uses on 97-01 which is mounted in the thermostat housing on the front of the engine.

mdoffroad said:
really???
hmmm I gues si am gonna have ot replace it and see whathappenes..

Yes. The 87-96 had a seperate one just for the gauge. The 97-01 gauge actually get the information over a data buss from the engine controller.

Are you having a problem w/ the guage? If so verify whether the PCM is getting a good signal before changing the sensor. The cluster gauges are driven by the PCM over a bus circuit. You should also be able to do a cluster self test by holding the trip meter down while turning on the key. All the gauges will go through a sweep to verify correct function. There was a TSB for a connector repair on that type of cluster. I know it applied to TJ, and I think XJ also.

The most common failure noticed if it is a cluster connection problem would be speedometer/tachometer drop out and air bag light. TSB 08-15-99 applies to 98/99 models.

Back