• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle on Shackle???

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done or seen done shackle on shackle?? I was thinking about putting my stock shackles on with my rusty's 1.75" shackles. I hear it well give you more flex. I wanted to see if anyones done it and what they think about it...
Thanks James

PoSxJ said:
Has anyone ever done or seen done shackle on shackle?? I was thinking about putting my stock shackles on with my rusty's 1.75" shackles. I hear it well give you more flex. I wanted to see if anyones done it and what they think about it...
Thanks James
That is basically a revolver shackle.

To do that you would need to do some kind of link system. Ive seen a lot of Toyota guys do this, and it looks like it works well, but thats just from pics Ive seen.

Go search the Yota section of Pirate... Lots of guys do it on toyotas... BUT, the principle those guys are using wont work with the XJ shackle box. Go read up on it before you start stackin shackles.

-jm

I don't think he means a shackle at each end of the springs, but two shackles attached to each other on one end of the spring.
Yes, it has been done, like a scissor shackle.

It works great for gaining lots of droop. I ran 2 stock shackles on top of each other for awhile. But you'll need to run a something between the two or your ride sucks because of lack of leaf compression. I couldn't figure it all out so I just got rid of them and got some MJ shackles instead. Oh ya, you will also lose lift by doing it. I know it sounds strange but it happened to me.. Go figure

I was rinning a set of scissor shackles back when I was at 3-4"!
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

RCP Phx, how did you keep the shackles from going the right way?

Now that I see what you are trying to do, wouldnt it handle a lot like the revolvers do? The feedback from those would make me question the need for that kind of thing.

edit: RCP Phx, now I see that you are using an aftermarket thing. I thought that you put two shackles together. Nevermind.

Those are 2 stock XJ shackles with stops added!

RCP, how did you like the two stock shackles together like that?

Predictable?

Hard to build?

Would you recomend it for a daily driver?

I have a 97 3.5 RE with 32". Drive it DAILY.

Thanks,
Jason

Red97XJ said:
RCP, how did you like the two stock shackles together like that?

Predictable?

Hard to build?

Would you recomend it for a daily driver?

I have a 97 3.5 RE with 32". Drive it DAILY.

Thanks,
Jason
I liked them alot when I was at 3-4" of lift!They were "fairly" easy to build!

did you drive it on the road?

I assumed you just bolted em together? What about the spacer?

Any wierd unloading? ever feel tipsy?

Would you recomend for me as a daily Driver?

Thanks for all the dumb q's
Jason

we need to stop all this shackle-on-shackle violence

unless your shocks, brakelines, and driveshaft are setup to make use of the extra droop, you're not going to notice much difference offroad. Also, at that point the spring is totally unloaded, so there's not a lot of downforce on the tire to create traction. Looks great for RTI ramp pics though.

What end result are you looking for anyway? Offroad-performance-wise, you're far better off doing a selectable rear locker. It's a fair bit more expensive, but the end result works far better. Lockers negate the need for tons of flex, that's why I got rid of my Revolvers -- after I got lockers, the Revolvers were pointless.

I had a similar setup with a MJ shackle & a stock shackle... after I rolled the Jeep I switched to a single 1.5" lift shackle. It was great for suspension droop on a short rig, but not worth the unpredictable unloading.

Jeepin Jason said:
Lockers negate the need for tons of flex, that's why I got rid of my Revolvers -- after I got lockers, the Revolvers were pointless.

how does that one work?

XJ_ranger said:
how does that one work?

Power at more wheels makes up for fewer wheels contacting the ground that a flexy suspension would provide. A good balance between the two factors is favorable IMHO.

Lawn Cher' said:
Power at more wheels makes up for fewer wheels contacting the ground that a flexy suspension would provide. A good balance between the two factors is favorable IMHO.

Exactly. With front/rear lockers, it didn't matter so much if I was lifting a tire every now and then. The leafs have to be unloaded before a scissor-shackle will open anyway, so you're not getting much usable downforce on that tire for traction. The extra droop looked cool, but that was really the only benefit I got from them. So I sold them for money for other more useful mods, and I saw absolutely no difference offroad going back to my old 1.5" Tera shackles.

Back