• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny problem

87xjeep

NAXJA Forum User
when i started my jeep this morning i herd a werd screeeeching sound from the tranny it only happens well the clutch is in or the tranny is in neutral. because if i put it in gear and go it goes away i was wondering if it could be a throw out bearing or my preasure plate the tranny is a ax15 i have checked the fluid and it is full if u can help thats great thank

Last edited:
Release (throw-out) or pilot bearing...while you have the tranny out to replace the clutch, make sure the input bearing in the tranny turns smoothly. Always replace the clutch assembly...release bearing, pilot bearing...and be sure you have the flywheel resurfaced.

Both my friends CJ and my CJ have had this happen. He replaced his throwout bearing and it fixed the problem. I havent changed mine because its going to get a new one soon. For the time being, untill you replace the throwout, you can try to double clutch, might help with the noice.

Back