• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The easiest would be to have Currie or Dynatrack build you a complete custom assembly...but if yer Heep is like my Heep...it'll cost more than the rig is worth....

It depends on what you want to do. If you want a LP, then a waggy 44 is the best option, and the easiest swap. If you want Hp 44, which is more likely, then you want a 44 out of a '71 - '77 F100 or F150, or a F250 housing as they are leaf sprung. You can swap between all the lug patterns, 5, 6, and 8 easy enough, but thats alot more info. You can leave the Hp 44 fullwidth or you can narrow it. Narrowing to use waggy inners is the most popular way to go, but some people do a different shaft length for each side. Waggy on one side and chevy or ford on the other for example. Thats the basic stuff, let me know if you need more specific info.......... :wierd:

You could also use a "Rubi" housing,they are sold over the counter at most 4x4 shops!

RCP Phx said:
You could also use a "Rubi" housing,they are sold over the counter at most 4x4 shops!

Anybody got a quote as to $$$ for the housing. sorry to hyjack.

Geepfreak said:
Anybody got a quote as to $$$ for the housing. sorry to hyjack.
The local shop here wants $700 for them(bare)!

91 Jeep Project said:
He said D44, the rubi is NOT a d44. It's a mixed up piece of crap is what it is............... :laugh3:
As my good friend so eloquently stated :laugh3: , a Rubie "44" has a 44 center section only. The axle tubes and inner knuckles are Dana 30 AND it's a low pinion axle. There are almost NO advantages to swapping this in if you have a HP 30. It IS bolt-in, but you're still stuck with weak tubes, unit bearings or expensive hub kits, and Dana 30 brakes. In addition, you'll have worse drivelene angles compared to a HP 30, and no real strength gains. A HP30 and LP 44 are pretty equal in strength in the r&p area. The 44 does have a beefier carrier.
The only situation I could see it being an "upgrade" in an XJ would be the later years ('00-'01) that had the LP 30 stock.

Last edited:
Back