• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp 44 swap help

chance575

NAXJA Forum User
I just pick up a hp 44 from my buddies yard but its from a 79 f250 8 lug. My first time playin with a 44 and i dont know what ill need to convert it to a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. can any one help

thanks

You will need the backing plates/disc brake brackets, Calipers, hubs and rotors. And you might need the spindles, I know that the 3/4 ton chevy uses a different spindle then the 1/2 ton, but I can't say for sure on ford. I would assume you would though............ :wierd:

I might be waaaaay off here but can't you swap all the 5x5.5 goods off an F-150 d44?
Thought I heard something about being able to use 5x5.5 jeep fronts for donor parts...
Try a search on here and Pirate...

Like proj said U will need those parts. The f-150 has 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. At least with the f-250 U will not have those cast or welded wedges to worry about as they all came with leaf springs. What susp are U going to use up front, 4 link or leafs SOA?

do a google search for Mr.N and dana 44. He is the guru and has tons of good info out there. Much of his tech is also posted on Pirate4x4.

old_man said:
do a google search for Mr.N and dana 44. He is the guru and has tons of good info out there. Much of his tech is also posted on Pirate4x4.
Like this one? :wave:

ya thats the main reason i bought the f250.....i figured i might be able to use the f150 setup but i did not know if i need to change the knuckles or not thanks for all the help... oh ya going to keep the stock 4 link w/ re brackets

I am was at that crossroad a few weeks ago. The f150 brakes will not work on the f250 knuckles, regardless who says what. I have a set of f250 knuckles that I was going to use on my D44HP for flat tops. The 1/2 ton brakes will not work. I would suggest getting the F150 knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and caliper brackets. That way it is so much easier. The other option is chevy flat tops for the D44 with the early chevy spindles and ford rotors and hubs to get the 5 x 5.5 bolt patern. Best of luck....

Scott.

I have a full set of D44 5 on 5.5 parts if you'd like to pick them up from me. I have run the parts for a year and only have 2 wheeling trips on them. The parts I have are:

-D44 1/2T knuckles, stripped, painted black, new spicer ball joints

-Caliper mounts, stripped, painted black

-New Ford calipers, loaded with new pads and hardware

-Spindles and spindle hardware

-Warn lockouts, regular ones, not premiums

-Front brake line set from Bronco graveyard, basically oem stuff not cobbled together junk

All you would need is the Ford hubs and rotors (40 bucks each at Autozone)

These parts will allow you to run 5 on 5.5 with you 3/4T axle
I could possibly sell ya the stubs too, you might need the stub shafts if they are shorter than the 3/4T models.

Let me know what ya think. This stuff is all in really good condition and has only been on the jeep since July of 2004. Let me know, Judd
-

Back