• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 frame to axle brake lines

kubtastic

NAXJA Forum User
I'm piecing together the brake hardware for throwing an 8.8 under the XJ. I've read that it may be possible to use the ford soft lines that go from the frame to the driver's side caliper and the axle hard line.

---> Has anyone successfully used those lines, or have they had to put something else in?

My 8.8 was removed from its vehicle and all lines to it were cut (2 ebrakes and the driver's side T-line). Then, the calipers were removed, cutting the 2 soft lines going to them. So this is what my situation is:

Currently, I have an 8.8 with:
rotors (surface rust)
caliper brackets (no calipers)
original hard line

Going to buy:
Calipers (left and right)
Passenger side rubber brake line
Driver's side line ?????? or fab something to work with the XJ

Reusing:
my E-brake cables - gonna do the wrap around thing...

any other comments on getting my XJ to use this axle's brakes, tell me!

Here's a pic of the area:
brakesetup.jpg

Blue is where the caliper would be, Red would be soft hose, green would be solid fittings, and the hard line is already there. I'm wondering if the Ford stuff that goes there would be long enough and if it would fit to the XJ's hard lines on the frame. I have about 6" of lift. Thanks.

I just helped a friend (he helped me?) put an 8.8 in his TJ. We used the TJ brake line from the frame to the axle and the stock TJ T-fitting, then ran new hard line to the passenger side rubber line. I got another Explorer passenger side rubber line and used it on the drivers side, and it went into the Jeep T-fitting. Simple, and it worked perfectly. Of course, we drilled and taped a hole (7/16" I believe) to bolt the T-fitting to the housing while we had it apart, but you could use a weld on tab if your housing is assembled already.

I think the XJ's line from the frame has two female connections at the axle - both for hard lines. The ford rubber lines also have female ends (at least I think they do) I guess I'll get 2 passenger side Ford lines and something to do a female-female connection (perhaps more hard line and the flared fittings)

Goatman said:
I just helped a friend (he helped me?) put an 8.8 in his TJ. We used the TJ brake line from the frame to the axle and the stock TJ T-fitting, then ran new hard line to the passenger side rubber line. I got another Explorer passenger side rubber line and used it on the drivers side, and it went into the Jeep T-fitting. Simple, and it worked perfectly. Of course, we drilled and taped a hole (7/16" I believe) to bolt the T-fitting to the housing while we had it apart, but you could use a weld on tab if your housing is assembled already.

This is exactly what i did but i used my stock breather fitting that holds the T-fitting down on the 8.8 it was the same thread on my 8.25. can e-mail pic's if needed.
Don't forget to weld the tubes to the housing!!

Back