• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low MPG I Think

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting around 10 to 11 MPG. I have done all I can think of to bring it up. Is there something I am missing or is this normal?

Cleaned trottle body
Changed the fuel filter
Changed all lubricants and filters
New cold air intake
Adjusted the TPS 4.62/.81 volts
Cleaned the IAC
Cleasned the EGR valve
Found the EGR sloeinoid bad (replaced)
Found the EGR transducer bad (replaced)
Checked all vaccum line
Check CCV
New O2 Sensor
New plugs
Wires
Rotor
Cap

Last edited:
When did you notice a change? You're in a cold weather climate like me, and the fuels they use this time of year just aren't conducive to good gas mileage. My Cherokee isn't running yet, but the mpg on my Wrangler has dropped at least two or three points.

Are you running stock tires and stock gears or is it non stock sized tires and or non stock gears? If you change the size of tires and don't change the speedo gear, your readings will be off throwing your calculations off.

A cold running motor, less than around 180-190 will use more fuel. As will cold intake air, the colder the air the richer the mix.
Might want to clean your MAT sensor, can´t hurt to clean the deposits off and get as good a reading as possible.
I can smell a rich motor, when I walk around back of an XJ.
Might want to make sure, the rear brakes arn´t dragging.

You could also try running a can of Seafoam through you tank or having your injectors cleaned by pros.

maybe the fuel sending unit? I have 31's after i just lifted it and about a week ago just randomly lost 60 gallons to a tank of gas, still trying to figure out what it can be.

I've put in 2 tank fulls worth of gas since I purchased mine. The first one, I got a little over 200 miles on the tank, not too bad, but not great. The weather was somewhat warm then. But during the time I filled up then, and when I filled up yesterday morning, I only got 150 mph. It has been much colder. Does the cold weather affect MPG on these THAT much? I have been letting it warm up in the driveway about 5-10 minutes for quite a few days before going to school, and I expected to see my milage go down a bit for doing that, but 50-55 mph is a pretty big drop in about a week and a half. Any ideas? I will replace the filter as soon as the warranty is up. It's not very dirty, but it could stand to be cleaned. i've got about 31psi in the tires, they've been recently balanced, and I don't drive like i'm in the indy 500.

Air pressure in the tires, the colder it gets the lower the air pressure. Fill em up to 30psi while they are cold or whatever your tire brand recommends.

I get 200 on a good day (around town), but on highway, I get almost 350 mpg. This is the same on both my xj's.

JeepXJ93 said:
maybe the fuel sending unit? I have 31's after i just lifted it and about a week ago just randomly lost 60 gallons to a tank of gas, still trying to figure out what it can be.
that would be the 31's

RichP said:
Air pressure in the tires, the colder it gets the lower the air pressure. Fill em up to 30psi while they are cold or whatever your tire brand recommends.

I've got about 30-31 in there now. 35 is MAX recommended on 235/75/R16 Uniroyal Laredo "all season" (which is a load of crap, they don't grip wet streets....period)

The cold weather caused a HUGE drop in my mileage. Went from 16 mpg last month to 12 the last couple of weeks. And I don't let mine sit and idle for a long time. I know it's running rich, but my Snap-On scanner won't talk to it, so I haven't had a chance to check any further.

i think im gettin about 10-15 mpg at best. i live in a mountainous area. just about all my driving is highway 55-80 usually. my pedal is often to the floor at about 60 in 4rd and somtimes 3th. i use 5th when i get out on to flat road. i havnt tried to get better gas milage yet. i havnt had the time. but some time soon ill do all the stuff you did. ive had mine since school year began. put about 7 or 8 thousand miles on it since then.

I just went to Kalispell for a couple months this summer and I know what you mean about not really having the time to try for better mileage. The mountains surrounding the valley are insane. If you are getting better than 14 mpg consider yourself lucky. Montana is the most beautiful state!

Back