• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Armor Fan Override Kit

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
Has anyone purchased the Electric fan override set up from XJ Armor? It is only 36 bucks and looks like it will save me the work from making one for my 96 sport.

lucky you, first of all, i purchased one in the beg of december, still has not come in, i emailed the guy and told him i want a tracking number or if he doesnt have one, i want a picture of the receipt. He sent me the receipt with the date on it blocked with a piece of another receipt. Emailed him back about it, he never resend it back. Im guessing he sent it when i started bitchin. Read his feedback also.
As for 97+ it might not fit, one of his feedbacks (negative) states that it does not fit with certain models (98 99) mine is 98.... :p just hoping it will:)

this guy is a douche bag. I ordered the over ride from him. didnt fit. never returned phone calls, never returned emails. contacted ebay about the guy, and they said they were looking into suspending his account.

I ordered it online and it came pretty quickly. It fit my Jeep just fine and hooked up nicely. Just one thing though - it didn't work. I could turn the fan on manually, but the A/C wouldn't turn it on after hooking everything up. I called him and after a little troubleshooting, he figured that the relay was bad and sent a new one. New relay did the same thing and I ended up just giving up on it. He seemed friendly though and really did try to help. I havn't had the problems with service as you have had - just problems with the product.

I ordered my air intake from XJ Armor and Steve, the guy I dealt with, was very friendly and helpful. If you guys aren't talkin to him I'd ask to, and if ya are, well he must have gone downhill.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I emailed Steve this morning with a bunch of questions regarding fitment and shipping etc. Hopefully I can get things squared away since the price it right and saves the trouble of fabricating my own switch system

There's a lot of guys here (including myself) that have done it themselves...
Skip the kit, save your money...
Mine is spliced to a switch in the cab without any type or temp regulation. I look at the gauge and if starts to creep close to 200* I flip it on...
I don't know if this is what you're looking to do but I like having control over when it's on or off.
You can do it for less than $15, about half that if you skip the relay

Gil BullyKatz said:
There's a lot of guys here (including myself) that have done it themselves...
Skip the kit, save your money...
Mine is spliced to a switch in the cab without any type or temp regulation. I look at the gauge and if starts to creep close to 200* I flip it on...
I don't know if this is what you're looking to do but I like having control over when it's on or off.
You can do it for less than $15, about half that if you skip the relay
I was thinking about doing this, but because I just have the idiot light, I wouldnt know if it was overheating untill it was to late. So I got the kit instead and it has worked great.
I got mine from Steve as well, and I got it in less then a week. I emailed him with questions and he got back to me in less then a day or less. One time it was 15 min. Dont know what is going on, cause I had great CS. Just my input.

I thought they were designed to run at around 210? Is this a bad thing, or are you all doing this as a "just incase" thing? Mine stays constant between 208-210 once it's fully warmed up.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I thought they were designed to run at around 210? Is this a bad thing, or are you all doing this as a "just incase" thing? Mine stays constant between 208-210 once it's fully warmed up.

No need to modify it unless you're overheating...
and yes the engines were designed to run at about 210*
I had an overheating prob a few years back and swapped radiator, t-stat,water pump and hardwired the fan switch "just in case"...
I haven't had any probs since...
If I'm in stop-n-go traffic I like to flip the fan on before it gets up there..

Starboard M said:
I was thinking about doing this, but because I just have the idiot light, I wouldnt know if it was overheating untill it was to late. So I got the kit instead and it has worked great.
I got mine from Steve as well, and I got it in less then a week. I emailed him with questions and he got back to me in less then a day or less. One time it was 15 min. Dont know what is going on, cause I had great CS. Just my input.

I don't understand. This kit is just a manual over-ride. What is the difference between this kit verses wiring your own over-ride?

Les

lbexj said:
I don't understand. This kit is just a manual over-ride. What is the difference between this kit verses wiring your own over-ride?

Les

about $20 to $30 it seems

Gil BullyKatz said:
No need to modify it unless you're overheating...
and yes the engines were designed to run at about 210*
I had an overheating prob a few years back and swapped radiator, t-stat,water pump and hardwired the fan switch "just in case"...
I haven't had any probs since...
If I'm in stop-n-go traffic I like to flip the fan on before it gets up there..

Thanks for the info. I know the older XJ's (say late 80's early 90's) had cheap radiators put in them and tended to over heat after a while. Don't htink this will be a problem for me for quite sometime as i have a 99.

For a second there I thought you all were doing this b/c it was not supposed to run at 210. Thanks again for the info.

I looked up in my FSM for a 2000 [I'm shure any 97+ is the same] to make the fan come on any time you want it to just wire a 12V switched power to the fan control relay the wire DB/PK [dark blue/pink] wire at the power distrabution center. Although you might need to put a diode in series with OEM wiring to keep the check engine lite out. With the switch on fan is on all the time[with key on], and switch off fan runs like normal.

now here's my next question, if you wire it to where you can control the electric fan, and you use it alot, would that not shorten the life of the motor in the fan?

The only thing to wear out would be the barings. I suppose it could shorten its life but I don't think it would be my much.

better to shorten life of the bearings in a fan, than shorten the life of your engine while 4wheelin, everybody says 4.0HO overheats.

As for making a harness on my own, i work about 70-80 hours a week, and have no time, i preffer the things sitting in my mailbox when i comeback, then driving around searching for all this stuff:p plug and play:p

Back