• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tried to change my t-stat

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my engine overheated. I found that it was a leaky hose and I was dry on coolant, so I changed all the hoses and flushed the system. I also decided to change the thermostat, but when I opened it up...there was something very strange.

there wasn't one.

So I put one in- and wondered what the heck the last guy who owned my cherokee was thinking- crazy, huh?

beav350 said:
taking a t-stat out is a temporary & dirty roadside repair for a stuck-closed t-stat, but there's no exscuse for not replacing it quickly. The engine doesn't warm up as quickly, so you get more engine wear,etc.

Not to mention the cooling system will not work nearly as well without the t-stat in place to create the pressure differential.

my t-stat broke and stuck wide open once. jeep never would get above about 120, on a warm day, and cold days never even regisetered on the gauge. started loggin a engine code for prolonged cold engine temp operation or something. made it get worse milage, as well.

I was runnin normal temps- or I would have checked it sooner. I didn't realize that some idiot would do something like that...

How bad on the engine could it have been?

Back