• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to fix rust above windshield

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. Well, I just noticed the paint starting to bubble up in a couple of places right above my windshield. The windshield is only about a year old, and in that year it hasn't rained much until the last month. I'm thinking the windshield guy must have scratched something, and water got under the outside rim of the seal. So, any ideas on how to fix the rust and prevent it from happening again?

Not sure if there's an easy fix, but from what I've been told from a body shop [as I'm looking at getting mine restored/painted] that the only way to do rust around a window, is the window must come out to do properly.

I'm afraid Cykaaro is probably right. This is a pretty common problem with XJ's, and I've even seen a few that were rusted right through, either at the windshield edge or above the rain gutter near the windshield. If you're going to get it under control you really have to grind it right down, and clean the rust off including the part that's now under the gasket. If yours is a model with rubber windshield trim (change somewhere around 94), you might be able to lift the edge of the rubber and get a very small disk in there to grind the rust off, but it will still be difficult to keep it from coming back.

My 95 has several nasty spots of this rust, but not as nasty as the holes in the rocker panels and floor. I'm racing the top and bottom to see which one reaches the middle first.

It is a 95, and has no other rust other than this. Is this the fault of the guy who installed the new windshield?

Guess I'm off to the body shop. :mad:

Not necessarily. I have three spots on my rear windows, so somehow water got in. They have to be pulled out to fix. Will have to get it done when I get the whole thing painted and a couple things body wise done to it. They told me there's no other way around it. If they don't pull the windows, it'll just come back again. Have some around my windshield. I'm lucky though as I had a new one put in, an where that actually is, was taken care of. Just not beside it. Will have to deal with that until I get it all done. Hate my different colour doors, but hey, we did it in Seattle before driving back out here, so no rust on them! I find they tend to rust around the door handles as well, especiall the tail end. Mine were pretty bad, so had to be done as I"m looking at having it painted.

Back