• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost: JKS ACOS and AAL??

willyb

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anyone has done a budget boost with the JKS ACOS and AAL/Shackle... A friend is looking to put 31's on for now, then later on (6mo. - 1yr.) Upgrade to something larger (33's). Thought that this might be a decent option with the opportunity to upgrade...

Will.

The AAL is cheap, easy and works pretty well for a small lift. The long AAL (RE and Rough Country make them) will ride better than the short ones. I have a short AAL and an extra factory main leaf in my rear spring pack now and I think it rides fine. I’d shy away from the ACOS. From what I have seen and heard it is a quality made product, but there is not a whole lot of adjustability. The minimum adjustment is 1.25” of lift, but the max is only 3.5” of lift. That gives you 2.25” of room to play with, which is great for fine-tuning your suspension. If you added a heavy front bumper or winch or your XJ wasn’t even side-to-side this would be just the ticket to level things out. If you are trying to use the ACOS as an actual lift kit I think that you will be disappointed. For a cheap easy lift for the front I think that you would be a lot better off using polly spacers or new springs. If you use the ACOS with the understanding that it is just a temporary fix until you get a “real” lift kit and it will not get you out of buying new springs, it would probably be OK. The way I see it, unless you actually need to compensate for an unlevel vehicle, the ACOS is a $200 solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

2.25 isn't much adjustability?

Run the ACOS with a 3.5" inch spring, on it's lowest setting for the 31's.

When it's time for the 33's, just bump it up. You'll get enough lift to fit 33's without maxing out the ACOS, that way you'll still have the adjustability for any fine tuning you might need.

And perhaps most importantly, the ACOS has that much sought after Bling factor. :D

With the added lift comes other upgrades, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Ultimately, I guess you have to look at your budget.

XJZ said:
2.25 isn't much adjustability?

not really for the practical purposes he stated.. he isnt looking for adjustability on a budget.. wants to lift in stages.. financial stages as i see it.. ACOS isn't a BB item generally. not a "bad" idea.. but not the "best" IMHO.... go with poly spacers for now...

I was under the impression that he was expressing direct interest in the ACOS and whether it would work or not. :dunno: But you're right, I would never consider the ACOS a "budget boost".

So just how much are you willing to spend and how high did you want to go? I realize you are looking at a budget plan here but if you're but for long term I would go with the ACOS. Yes the do cost a bit more but well worth the cost. Minimum lift is about 1.25" and max is closer to 4". I have a set of these on my 90 XJ as do several of my friends and we couldn't be happier. Look at it this way, get the ACOS and AAL. When it comes time to go to the 33's turn up the ACOS and get a set of 2" drop shackles for the rear ($70 a pair) and you're set. Also if or when you decide to go to a bigger sping in the front you can compensate, when the springs settle in, side to side. Many, many advantages to the ACOS. If its with in your budget I would get them. I don't think that you would be sorry.

Laters...........Mikey :cool:

He's not looking for a true 'budget boost'... Just looking for something to get some 31's on it for now, and over the next 6mo. - 1yr. accumulate enough funds for the RE5.5 or a longarm setup and gears/axles... He just doesn't want to cut corners or have to lift it twice... Hope that clarify's...

Will.

Back