• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockable center console?

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
toying with a fullset of half doors for the summer. does anyone make a locking center consol so when im at the beach i can put my headunit and stuff in it? does tuff? thanks guys

keith

Tuffy?

Tuffy

IMG_0019_001.sized.jpg

More pics here: http://xj.rockmongers.com/gallery/tuffyinsert

91 Jeep Project said:
I am a fan of the OE look and I think the tuffy is just ugly.........

I agree on both points.

But ... they do lock. And I believe they are all steel, making them a bit more burglar-resistant than a plastic OEM console from a Wrangler.

Keep in mind that some of the tuffys are inserts, they can be broken loose from the console itself and taken. Result is more expensive damage than just loosing the headunit. A few companies make smaller locking security boxes, including tuffy, that can be bolted to the floor, say under the back seat. Couple of companies also make lockable boxes that go under the front seats, bolt thru the floor and have a drawer in them that pulls out, enough room for a colt1911 and half dozen magazines.
The TJ unit comes in about 3 different styles but the full length one is the strongest, bolts thru the floor and the whole console is steel, around $250 or so. The problem with the 97+ XJ WAS the heater vents going to the rear area, now it's the heater vents and the airbag controller that was moved under there from the drivers seat floor.
For a face plate consider making up a cloth bag with velcro on the back, add the other velcro part on the underside of the drivers or passenger seat or the dashboard that would allow you to slip the face in and slap it in your favorite hiding place, make it black and get it up and out of a casual feel search.

I know it's not what you have in mind, but Tuffy [I think] makes a cabnet that fits the back of an xj. It should be lockable, and it's expensive. Somthing you may not have thought of is getting a seel tool box and bolting it to the floor in the back. Then you could lock that.

I have the tuffy for my 96. It is an insert, but it gives you a new heavy bracket and new bolts that bolt the insert to the floor, rather than the stock sheet screws. It will take whole crap load of effort for anyone to rip it out. Much more than anyone would ever do. _nicko_

Tuffy makes one for XJs with no center console, but with some mods, you can make it fit if you have the center console. I'll get some pics of mine tomorrow. I cut up my center console so it looks stock.

Fergie

Back