• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar question

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I was taking off my stock trackbar on my cherokee and i disconnected the lower part of it and then took off the pin and nut on the top of it but it still wont come off of the mount at the top. I have heard there is a ball joint at the top that I have to seperate but im not sure if thats what I have. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Its not a ball joint - its a Tie Rod End

a Pickle fork works well to pull these off
when i did mine, i pulled the bracket off and then shoved the TRE in the vice and used a pry bar to pull the mount off of the TRE...

it is a tapered bolt and the taper is what holds the bolt in - not the nut.
Heating the mount to make it wider and avoiding heating the TRE bolt would help loosen the "wedge"

maybe you could put the mount in the vice and use the obliagtory BFH to pound it out...

try not to oval out the hole in the mount - if your using that again

good luck

also - might want to try posting in the OEM forum...

That thing was a BI on mine. The pickle fork was usless. I had to wedge something between the track bar, and [don't rember what] something beefy under there. Basicly made a lever out of the bar. Then used a jack to pry with. It lifted the front end up before it came loose. Needless to say it was nice, and violent when it finely popped off.

are you putting in a new track bar? either way if you take the mount off the uniframe (2nuts 2bolts) and put the mount in a vice you should be able to bang on the track bar and pop it off just make sure you put a piece of wood inbetween your hammer and the trackbar if you plan on keeping it in good shape.

I made a "jack-screw" out of a 1/2" bolt and a rod coupling,tightened it until I couldn't any more and one tap with a hammer and I popped right off!

Back