• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lighter wiring

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Aight, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but here it goes. I bought a 97+ dual lighter accessory piece to install in my 91. My 90 and 91 both have 2 wire lighters, but the 97+ has 3 prongs. What's the 3rd prong for? ground, POS, and ??????
I looked through my FSM,haynes, and chiltons and none say jack.

mybe cuz it don't go to that jeep!! duh.....so yeah...that's the obvious. just run them all together and have a 24v lighter....lol
imma honky said:
Aight, maybe I'm missing the obvious, but here it goes. I bought a 97+ dual lighter accessory piece to install in my 91. My 90 and 91 both have 2 wire lighters, but the 97+ has 3 prongs. What's the 3rd prong for? ground, POS, and ??????
I looked through my FSM,haynes, and chiltons and none say jack.

Mine had that too on both the old and new lighter. It has a green ring around face that i assumed would light up, but i had no wire for the third prong. I just put it in and left it alone.

Cory

I don't see a ring that would "look" like it would glow.
Here is what it looks like.
cherswbezweb2.jpg

minus the switches (but holes are there).

1394436f1.JPG

Please Explain how this is a waste of time? Is it because I need some extra outlets? Is it because you are too lazy to try and do something that may not have been done before? Please explain.

Acording to my FSM there is only two wires for each plug. There isn't any lights in eather one, and my 00 only has two wires to each plug. The third prong might be for another vehicle that uses the same outlets which are lighted.

scoobyxj said:
Acording to my FSM there is only two wires for each plug. There isn't any lights in eather one, and my 00 only has two wires to each plug. The third prong might be for another vehicle that uses the same outlets which are lighted.
Rawk out witcha XXXX out. I appreciate the info.
And for those that are wondering, I needed the extra outlets for A) latop, B) GPS C) Other (maybe a power converter).

Something I just thought of. How about making a box with several power plugs in it, and mounting it under your passenger seat. That way you'll have more than just the two you'll get with 97+ unit, and all your cords wont be tangaled against the dash.

scoobyxj said:
Something I just thought of. How about making a box with several power plugs in it, and mounting it under your passenger seat. That way you'll have more than just the two you'll get with 97+ unit, and all your cords wont be tangaled against the dash.
That's not a damn bad idea. I'm not worried too much about the wires in the dash though. I'm stripping as much out as possible (interior&exterior). Gonna do alot of custom wiring. i.e. taking out all the window controls from the door and leaving only a master control in the center console & using door jam connectors eliminating the need for wires going through the doors.
I'm still waiting on a response from a company I contacted about a laptop mount for pre 97 cherokees. If this company doesn't have one, I might have to find a metal fabricator to make me one.

I bet someone makes laptop mounts for a cherokee, probably a government contracted business. Maybe try and talk to the copshop about who installs theirs in the police cruisers.

Cory

bringing up a new question about the lighter pod, which tab is which
| |
| | | | | |
Green Orange
outlet outlet
Which prong is which.

Back