• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Blow-by fouling the air cleaner!

darth_linux

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I've got an 89 with 4.0. I've replaced all 3 of the CCV componants - grommet, metered orfice tubing and the large tubing from the VC to the air box with attendant plastic connections and various vacuum nipples.

I STILL have enough blowby to soak the air filter with oil after a while. The engine has 205K on it, so I supposed it's just so worn that the blowby is overwhelming the system . . . what is the experience of everyone else here on this subject?

thanks
Dave

Well as for my experience was in the cvcc tube just a thought but try to blow through it and see if it is plugged even if you changed some of it or all of it, it may still have a plug in it somewhere This problem cost my girlfriend over $400 when we first got together.. Dont know if it will help you but good to try ... good luck

There are two blow by articles on this website. There is probably loads of other info on NAXJA also. If you clean out the top of the valve cover like the proceedure states and clean out your new lines then you have to come up with alternative ways of catching the blow by to protect your air filter.

These articles are very helpful.
If they do not solve it all together then search more on Naxja for blow by and you will others "unusual" ways of solving these issues.

Michael

Only way I was able to get around my massive blow-by to the air filter was a homebrew airtube with a cone filter with no provisions for the ccv hoses...
I ran the intake hose on the front of the valve cover to a "catch can" that I empty regularly. There's also a small breather filter on the end of the hose.
I tried taking the valve cover off and cleaning the heck out of it, new oem ccv hardware, making sure the grommets were not clogged, etc. (all the recommended fixes)
In my case the engine's too old and worn to cure it without a rebuild...

The only thing that seemd to help was running heavier oil or adding some marvel's mystery additive to it.

darth_linux said:
Yeah, I've got an 89 with 4.0. I've replaced all 3 of the CCV componants - grommet, metered orfice tubing and the large tubing from the VC to the air box with attendant plastic connections and various vacuum nipples.

I STILL have enough blowby to soak the air filter with oil after a while. The engine has 205K on it, so I supposed it's just so worn that the blowby is overwhelming the system . . . what is the experience of everyone else here on this subject?

thanks
Dave

If the grommet at the back of the valve cover and the tubing from there to the intake manifold are clear, you shouldn't get blowby from the front valve cover breather tube unless your rings are worn. It sounds like that's what's happening in your case so an engine rebuild is on the cards.

Dr. Dyno said:
If the grommet at the back of the valve cover and the tubing from there to the intake manifold are clear, you shouldn't get blowby from the front valve cover breather tube unless your rings are worn. It sounds like that's what's happening in your case so an engine rebuild is on the cards.

That's what I figured, thanks for the reply!!
Dave

Back