• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longer shocks vs. moving the shock mounts?

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I want a small (about 3") flexy lift. I also want to clean up the underside of the Jeep so nothing is haning down.

What do you think? Run a longer shock for more flex, or run a shock about stock length but move the shock mounts up higher on the axle?

I've thought aobut moving the mounts up higher on the axle, and moving them inboard slightly to get a little more droop from them, but I'm worried this may be a less stable set up for on-road driving.

geoff

just move them up in the back, not in, if they are 2 far in then they wont really have a great effect on individual wheel bumps. If the whole axle is moving up then they will work out ok. I would say shave an inch or 2 on the axle mount or so and get some new shocks, then ull have an inch more of drop and better ground clearance. If not you could always fab some bump stop extension set ups in the top shock mount

I'm also going up 3 inches sometime in the next month.

I will be moving up the mounts in the rear. It would have happened sooner or later anyway, why not now.

OME shocks in the front, stock in the rear with raised mount.

I already have a 3.5" RE lift, I would like tho move the mounts up, but I am not sure if it will interfere with the OME long travel shocks I have. I sure don't want to bottom the shock. Has anyone done this with the same set-up. Well, I do have the DPG bumpstops on mine, as well.
Just wondering. Thanks.

Just flex it out and see how much uptravel you have left to know if you'll bottom them out or not. Or lift it more and raise the shock mounts at the same time. Or lengthen the bump stops if necessary. Or just leave the mounts where they are. I don't know why, but I rarely hit those. I hit everything else under the Jeep quite frequently but rarely hit the shock mounts.

xj92 said:
I don't know why, but I rarely hit those. I hit everything else under the Jeep quite frequently but rarely hit the shock mounts.

yeah - thats what i was thinking... interesting...

xj92 said:
Just flex it out and see how much uptravel you have left to know if you'll bottom them out or not. Or lift it more and raise the shock mounts at the same time. Or lengthen the bump stops if necessary. Or just leave the mounts where they are. I don't know why, but I rarely hit those. I hit everything else under the Jeep quite frequently but rarely hit the shock mounts.

wrap a zip tie around the shock strut closest to the body of the shock and go wheelin/flex it. look under the truck and see where the zip tie is the amount of room left is how far up u can move it without bottoming out the shock. (when you go flex it check and see if it is on it's bumpstops or just the strength of the spring holding it back from compressing any further)

and i have smashed my shock numerous times. i say shock because it is only the one on the leading edge of the axle that gets whacked.

if you want i can e-mail u some pics i have of my mounts on my 8.8

Back