• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compressor for ARB locker?

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of buying a used arb air locker. I was wondering if you can use any other compressors other than arb's to run the locker. This will probably make the decision money wise. thanks

IIRC ARB's run at 90psi. I've seen folks run ARB's off stand-alone air tanks (ie: no real OBA other than the tank), CO2 tanks, QuickAir compressors, you name it. You just need 90psi of air, doesn't matter where it comes from.

Basically you need some sort of air tank (size really doesn't matter, the tank on the ARB compressor is about the size of a soda can), with a pressure switch and the ARB solenoid(s). What you use to pressurize the tank (ie: the compressor) really doesn't matter.

sooo... theoretically... i could stick a 10lb co2 tank(upright) behind the drivers seat, stick a regulator on it to 90 psi. twist the nozzle when i want to lock. run the air to the locker. and turn off the flow and bleed the line to unlock. not that i would do this but would it work

theoretically, yes, I think that would work. You'd have to keep a constant pressure in the line to keep the locker locked.

yeah, if you ran a regulator on the tank and just turned the tank on it would keep 90psi in the line. so i guess that would work but its probably asking for trouble. oh well ill probably end up rigging something up. if anyone has any ideas let me know

I would use anything but the ARB compressor. I had three warrantied in less than a year that I ran an ARB. I did use it a fair amount for airing tires. But if you use it solely for the ARB operation, you might be OK.

a_hiatt said:
yeah, if you ran a regulator on the tank and just turned the tank on it would keep 90psi in the line. so i guess that would work but its probably asking for trouble. oh well ill probably end up rigging something up. if anyone has any ideas let me know

did the ARB you bought not come with the solenoid?

a_hiatt said:
yeah, but what all would the solenoid do for you

it lets you use the electronic dash switch to lock/unlock the locker, vs using a manual pnuematic valve.

If you're buying it used, request all the parts that originally came with the locker, like the dash switch, solenoid, housing fittings, the special bearing air fitting thing, etc. If you're just getting an ARB carrier, you're going to be buying a lot of additional parts to make it work.

it has everything but compressor. but i dont know how i could make the solenoid and swith work with my own tank cause i havent seen them and dont know how they work.

Back