• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lighting question.

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at upgrading my lights as the stock ones basically are a total pos.
Am leaning toward the silverstar's by sylvania, as they're readily available for me, and won't have to upgrade my wiring harness, which I perfer than have to rewire everything again. According to the site, they show 'H6054 SilverStar Sealed Beam Headlight' as the right one for my 1990 XJ.
Would appreciate any input on this.
thx

Silver stars are ok but a bit pricey for a throw away sealed beam. Hella E codes have a high quality housing and replaceable H4 bulbs of various types. Down here the sylvanias are about $22 a bulb $44 a set plus tax, the Hella E codes are are around $90 a set here http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp w/bulbs. The H6054D set is a good choice, the xenon bulbs give a nice white light output vs the more yellowish standard H4.
The harness will improve whatever you get but there are a couple of things you can do to improve your stock harness, get a burnishing tool, GC makes them, they are about the size of a match book striker, spring steel very very fine file type of tool. Clean the sockets out and use some 'tune up grease' or 'dielectric grease' on the prongs of the lights, will seal out moisture and slow down corrosion build up on the plugs.
CIBIE also makes some excellent lights but a tad more pricey than the Hellas, We have silverstars in one TJ, Hella's in my XJ and I have a set of 7" round cibie's for whenever I get my unlimited. I will be ordering a set of the hella 7" rounds with xenon bulbs for my duaghters TJ's and get rid of the stock sealed beams.

Use the search feature for 'headlights' or 'hella' on naxja page, you will find ALOT of information on them.

Thanks! Will start digging. Don't have a tone of money to throw at it right now, but I don't like how pathetic the stock lights are at all. My secondary driving lights I put on are twice as bright I find.
True on the sealed beam though. Would perfer not going that route, for exactly the reason you state.

Back