• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crooked Lift??

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
Did any of you notice your Jeep leaning to one side after installing your lift. Mine leans to the drivers side by about an inch. I hope it will settle out, but was wondering if it was an XJ thing, an RE thing or just a "my Jeep" thing.

You shouldnt have any problems with the RE kit!First did the front coils seat properly,second loosen everything up then take a "short" drive to let it all settle in place then re-tighten everything!

I dont know if you noticed when you had the coils out, but there is a notch that the edge of the bottom coil is supposed to sit in and all that. I wouldnt go hog wild with the losening... might try a little in the rear and SHORT drive is the key here - like around the block - or down to the end of the drive way and back up.

if you've got rubber bushings on the control arms and tightened them with the weight of the vehicle off the ground, then they will want to twist but probably wouldnt make the vehicle sit crooked enough to be noticable

Pietro said:
if you've got rubber bushings on the control arms and tightened them with the weight of the vehicle off the ground, then they will want to twist but probably wouldnt make the vehicle sit crooked enough to be noticable
no but the rear end bushings can... and then make the front look crooked as well...

When i finished my last round of suspension modification I noticed that the jeep looked crooked, my passenger side fenders sat about 13 inches over the tires, while the drivers side was abouit 10.5. I just stood on the rockrail and rocked the jeep side to side to settle everything down. Now all 4 corners are sitting at 11 and a quarter.

you should really torque all of suspension fasteners when the weight of the vehicle is on the ground

on a seperate note: my friend who has a really tall and soft lift had a spool in the back (which he put up with for about a week) said that when he parked in a spot which required pulling in at an angle, the jeep would sit completely crooked unless he drove it forward and backwards a few times, i guess the suspension would bind up because of the spool, i imagine a locker could do the same

Don't know if this is what you want to hear, but I had the 4.5" RE lift on my 89 for 5 years and it eventually sagged down about 2" on the pass. side and only .5" on the driver's side. I've heard that flexy XJ lifts are prone to sagging; especially when flexed to the limit as mine was.

Harvo, mine did the same ... its been on for a year now and still sits uneven. My Rancho kit didn't do this, so it's either poor installation or poor quality RE parts. I personally believe it's poor quality leafs... the rear passenger leaf feels tight, makes a strange sound when making hard left turns.

I talked to Deaver ... and I'm thinking about swaping the rear springs out.

All I know is something is not right with those springs... I took before and after measurements.

Harvo said:
Did any of you notice your Jeep leaning to one side after installing your lift. Mine leans to the drivers side by about an inch. I hope it will settle out, but was wondering if it was an XJ thing, an RE thing or just a "my Jeep" thing.

I did the install so I'm confident it's right. I have loosened the bolts and retorqued, and I have checked the spring seats. It must be a leaf pack. I'll see what happens. The short side is actually the side with the advertised lift. The tall side is taller than it's supposed to be.

If it hasn't sagged in after a week or so, put something in the back on the high side, over night. I had to when I put in my full AAL. Let a few cases of water sit in the back over night and it sagged right in to level it all out.

Mine was installed by T&J ... the Jeep Speed pros, ...

I would also check the E-brake cable and make sure it clears the muffler well enough so it won't become taut during articulation. My cable is currently resting against the muffler as it sits in the driveway, and during hard left turns may be forcing the cable to stretch slightly, bringing in the rear shoes on the pass side.

This *could* cause that rear to sit higher than normal ... and *could* cause the rubbing or scraping sound I'm getting in hard left turns, but I doubt it. I'm going to relocate my Dynomax muffler first to eliminate that possibility.

Deaver also thinks its the RE spring pack.

Harvo said:
I did the install so I'm confident it's right. I have loosened the bolts and retorqued, and I have checked the spring seats. It must be a leaf pack. I'll see what happens. The short side is actually the side with the advertised lift. The tall side is taller than it's supposed to be.

Harvo said:
Call up RE - they have excelent customer service...
maybe they can give you some advice. tell them about the thoughts of people in this thread and see what they think...

My RE3.5 super flex also does this. Mine is on drivers side rear. But of course if I swapped the leafs to the opposite sides, then it would be opposite.

Mine has been flexed. They have been on for about 9 months.

I think it really helps on going sideways on a hill if driving drivers side down on angle.

Jason

my piece of junk lift did this too. I fixed it by swerving rapidly back and forth until my XJ turned over on it's top then since the roof was flat it sat level.

Ok I made that up but it was unlevel for a couple weeks then I guess settled in.

Also did it come with adj control arms and are they at the same length? The front coil will bow one way or the other if not and cause one side to sit at a different height.

Back