• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mileage per tankful

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I know I know, another gas milege thread, but I was unable to find what I'm looking for in any of the others. What I want to know is how many miles do you get per tank, how many gallons do you usually put in, and when does your low fuel warning light come on? I have a 96 4.0 w/AW4. I have gone up to 260 miles on a tank and put in 17(I think) gallons that time. Normally however, my low gas light comes on around 212-225 miles and when I fill up I only put 12-14 gallons in. Now I know we have a 20.2 gallon tank and at my normal mpg of 15 city I should be able to easily hit 300 miles per tank. But I don't wanna run out due to a dent or something reducing capacity...Is the guage just normally pessimistic, should I ignore mine, or what? Thanks.

Both our 93 and 96 had gauges like that. I'm not sure about the 87, because I don't use it for trips, and that is the only time I don't fill up when I hit 1/4 tank.

The light on our 96 comes on at about 350-360 miles mark, and we end up filling with about 17 gal. On both, the gass gauge came on with about 3.5-4 gallons remaining. We have traveled another 60 miles beyond that, but usualy fill up at the 400 mark on trips. We average a little over 23 mpg, but it is a 2wd Sport.

Copperhead

I usually get 350 miles per tank, except in the winter. The light comes on at 1/4 tank.

Well, now I wonder if I have a hidden dent in my gas tank or something cuz mine comes on at 215 or so. I only end up putting in 12-14 gallons. City I see 15 mpg, highway is around 18-20.

BlackSport96 said:
Well, now I wonder if I have a hidden dent in my gas tank or something cuz mine comes on at 215 or so. I only end up putting in 12-14 gallons. City I see 15 mpg, highway is around 18-20.
hidden dent? that would have to be a huge dent to make that much of a difference.

do you have a skid plate hiding the dent?

maybe you have a bad sending unit.

Its got the cheesy factory plastic "skid". I know its capable of going well beyond the level the light comes on cuz its been to 260 when I wasn't paying attention...I don't know, I guess its just one of those little quirks I gotta get used to...

copperhead said:
Both our 93 and 96 had gauges like that. I'm not sure about the 87, because I don't use it for trips, and that is the only time I don't fill up when I hit 1/4 tank.

The light on our 96 comes on at about 350-360 miles mark, and we end up filling with about 17 gal. On both, the gass gauge came on with about 3.5-4 gallons remaining. We have traveled another 60 miles beyond that, but usualy fill up at the 400 mark on trips. We average a little over 23 mpg, but it is a 2wd Sport.

Copperhead

SHEESH!!

i would KILL to get that kind of mileage on my 96 XJ!!!
:laugh3:

CaptTrev said:
SHEESH!!

:laugh3:

I second that!!!!!!!!
I thought better mileage was possible as well.
I am in the neighborhood of 15 mpg tops combined driving.
33-12.5-15 BFG's, 4.56's, roof rack w/tire on top, and additional added weight in tools, winch and things.
I also have a Jacobs Ignition, larger wires and a stock type K&N air filter.
Does not seem like anything I do will improve my mileage.

01 with 235/75-15, fresh tune up, K&N filter, I get the light at 1/8 tank and end up putting in about 18 gal, and getting about 280 to 300 miles outta the 18 gal.The brand of gas does matter, I have gotten as little as 260 miles out of a tank of Shell, but the Jeep seems to favor regular Sunoco for best mileage.

I recently started noticing a huge drop in mileage...just replaced spark plugs about 10 min ago in my 2000, hopefully thats it..i was thinking sending unit as well if this doesnt solve it...I got 260 per tank easy when i first bought it and then all of a sudden i couldnt get past 200...light comes on at the last notch on the gauge.

Posted by CaptTrev:
SHEESH!!

Posted by XJ4PLAY:
I second that!!!!!!!!
I thought better mileage was possible as well.

We put a temporary Thule cargo carrier on top comming back from Atlanta once, and our mileage dropped significantly. Having stuff up there seems to make quite a difference. The 96 is running 235/75 15 Michelin X Radial LT's, great overall tires.

FWIW, I usualy fill up my ex-Canadian '87 4wd Laredo when it hits the 400km mark (about 252 miles). That is usually about 14-15 gallons to fill. Rough conversoin would put me in the 16-18mpg range. Furthest I have run it was 520km (327mi), I know the light was on, but don't remember the ammount of gas I put in it.

I also run the lowest grade gas I can find, which is usually 89 Octane. I'll run 87 when I can find it. Mileage usually goes down if you run the higher grade fuels and you vehicle doesn't need them. Both Motors are stock, and can run lower octane.

-Copperhead

JeepXJ93 said:
I recently started noticing a huge drop in mileage...just replaced spark plugs about 10 min ago in my 2000, hopefully thats it..i was thinking sending unit as well if this doesnt solve it...I got 260 per tank easy when i first bought it and then all of a sudden i couldnt get past 200...light comes on at the last notch on the gauge.

I have a 2000 as well. I can MAYBE stretch a tank to 290-300 on the highway (downhill with a tailwind). I noticed a big drop after going to 4.56 gears and 33 MTR's but it really never got over ~ 270 -280 per tank unless I topped it off pretty heavily. I have an airaid intake (helped with performance a bit, didn't hurt milage) and the airaid 1 " throttle vortex spacer (noticible perf improvement, little mileage change).

Unfortunaltely, I did all the gear, tire and suspension work at once and the spedo was way screwed up for a while after so I don't know exactly how bad the milage impact was but it was pretty noticible. My fuel lite comes on at the 1/8 tank mark at usually 220 miles. I rarely push it beyond 250.

My fuel light comes on around 170 miles in my '96 4x4 aw4 XJ. I usually fill up around 200 miles and it takes 17 gallons, give or take a half. 235 tires 2" BB

I have an 87 Cherokee with 89 4.0, about 12k on the motor and i get about 300 miles out of 17 gallons whether im on the highway or in town, always hit the same mark since the guage was messed up, give or take a half gallon, when there is no snow and ice around, then its about 230 for 17 gallons, but thats where i fill up at during the winter since my gauge is messed up. But that was before the Bosch 4 outlet injectors, guess i will find out in a couple months if its better or worse on the mileage.

Cory

Has anyone tried using the "Tornado" air\fuel atomizer? I see the ads all the time, but not sure if they really do improve mileage.
I get to about 280 miles on my '98 and have to fill up with about 18 gallons.
I'm tempted to drive it around till it completely runs out to see just how far I can really go with it. Keeping a 2 gal gas can with me of course.

In the summer I get around 18-22 depending on whether or not I hit the highway, A/C doesn't matter and the light comes on around 265, in the winter I get about 15 (oxygenated gas) and the light comes on around 215-225.

Hi there. First post . . . I had the racing idle problem that turned out to be a loose intake manifold bolt. I just fixed it yesterday, so I don't yet know what my mileage will be, but before that I have been getting about 210 miles and putting in 17 gallons - that's about 12 MPG. That's with new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, cleaned TB and new air filter.

I'll follow up once I do a full tank of gas without the racing idel problem. I'm thankful to everyone here who posted the fix for that problem.

Dave

Back