• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Blues

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I need to swap out my O2 sensor but I was eyeball it tonight and man does it look rusty tight. Anybody have any sugestion before I make an attemp? If I were to swist it off what would be my options other than buying a new manifold pipe? I know I have to try when the engine is hot and I do have a O2 socket bur is there a chance it won't budge?

you dont need on o2 socket if you have a closed end 6 pt wrench. get the exhaust hot and spray rust penetrant on the sensor (be careful because the spray can ignite so have water or something). slowly loosen the sensor. if it starts to get really tight while loosening, work it back and forth while spraying, eventually it should come out

Dont know about the differneces in years, but my 93 had satinless exhaust, no rust. it looked bad, but mine came out with an open end wrench!! i guess is depeneds.

Pietro said:
you dont need on o2 socket if you have a closed end 6 pt wrench. get the exhaust hot and spray rust penetrant on the sensor (be careful because the spray can ignite so have water or something). slowly loosen the sensor. if it starts to get really tight while loosening, work it back and forth while spraying, eventually it should come out

Don't forget your asbestos suit, too :). Mine looked rusty, but came out with ease. If it's the original, it will have anti-sieze on the threads.

Back