• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Nut

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
Is a new nut on a new pinion supposed to be difficult to tighten up? I was thinking that maybe they're made that way to help them stay together, but mine is a real bear to get tight even when the pinion is out of the dif and I'm just tightening the nut on the pinion.

Robert

Yes, it's a mechanical locking nut.

I am sorry, but it sounds like you don't really know what you are doing.
Yes, it is normal unless you crosstreaded it. Besides preload, there are different forces that try to loosen the pinion nut. Rotation is one of them.
So when you put your pinion nut on, tighten it according specs given in whatever manual you have. Do not play with it because som pinion nuts have crash built in from facotry to stay tight when you install it.
P.S Why do you need to know this?

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

Yes, you wouldn't be able to thread it on past half way by hand usually. The nut is deformed slightly on the outer portion, as installed. This is done, as you guessed to lock the nut to the pinion.

Thanks Explorer and ChiXJeff. That's what I thought, but it's been 20+ years since I've built a differential and whenever something comes up that I'm not sure about I prefer to ask someone rather than just force it.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
Thanks Explorer and ChiXJeff. That's what I thought, but it's been 20+ years since I've built a differential and whenever something comes up that I'm not sure about I prefer to ask someone rather than just force it.

Robert

thats smart :thumbsup:

Back