• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual tranny fluid amount?

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone happen to know the amount of fluid my manual tranny takes? It's a 99 Cherokee.

Yes, I did a search and yes I checked the manual.. They all tell me to "fill it till it drains out the hole I am putting it in". But that doesn't help me go and buy it.. Should I buy a pint? 10 gallons! ;)

Thanks!
Morgan

Just under 4 quarts is what the factory manual says.

AX5 (4X2) 3.5 L (3.7 qts.)
AX5 (4X4) 3.3 L (3.5 qts.)
AX15 (4X2) 3.15 L (3.3 qts.)
AX15 (4X4) 3.15 L (3.3 qts.)

Chilton's manual, under General Maintenance/Capacities. MJR lists the factory manual at 3.3 quarts, that'd be 6.6 pints so Chilton is close. Guess it would depend on how level your rig was sitting too. 5 quarts Fuel90 is a little high. Not sure how these manual trannies take to being overfilled, since I've just gotten a rig with one, but I know automatics hate it.

I see you already got your info, but go to pirate4x4.com and theres a slew of manuals for our xj's, i am rippin out my tranny and t-case for rebuilds and i found the tech tear downs for each of em, i dont remebr where i saw the link but thanks to this site i found em!

Hello,
This exact question was posted 2 weeks ago at the most. I don't believe we settled on an answer then and doubt that we will now. I have a 97, 5sp, 4.0 and used about 3.5 quarts, when I changed my fluid this fall. Its difficult to find the correct fluid as you may know so I decided to buy from the dealer and got 2 dusty bottles of mopar ax-15 fluid for $35 or so. I then realized that this was not enough, and searched high and low before I decided that Redline MT-90 gear oil would be compatible (gl-3) with our gearboxes. I special ordered 2 qts. (about $8 each) from Advance Auto Parts and the rest is history. HTH
JamesBond

I did do a search, but I didn't come across anything relavant. I just went out and got some synthetic gear oil of the appropiate weight (I forget what it is off the top of my head) at my local parts place.

Actually.. my owners manual tells me to use: either "Mopar Gear Lube" or SAE 75w-90 API-GL5. My parts place didn't have a 75 weight, but they had an 80. The only choice was a synthetic.

Ok here is what the factory did recommend for 89-96 AX-15's

Recommended lubricant for AX15 transmissions is Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 5 gear lubricant, or equivalent.

This is what is recommended for 97-99 AX-15's (there is a typo in the 97 manual recommending the older fluid). This is also what they simply recommend now for the AX-15 but if you are concerned use what was originally recommended.

Recommended lubricant for AX15 transmissions is Mopar® 75W - 90, API Grade GL - 3 gear lubricant, or equivalent.

There are several out there that make GL - 3 like Royal Purple, which I have seen locally.

Back