• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ--whats it worth

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, a quick and dumb newbie question, does an mj have a unibody? Next question, I am looking at a 1990 MJ 4.0, 4x4, 5 speed (is this the pugeot POS?), 166k on it with 25k on a rebuilt engine, bone stock, longbed. So what is it worth? Thanks in advance. David

The MJ is as "unibody" as a pickup can get - the frame rails are extended rearward and the bed box can be removed and replaced by unbolting it, but the cab is welded on.

Yes, it has the BA/10-5, but I've got 240K on mine and it's just starting to go. Average reported service life seems to be 150Kmiles or so, and I'd use that to negotiate price downward a bit. I seem to recall that the AX15 and NV3550 are both direct replacements for the Peugeot in terms of overall length, but that should be verified (I think that information came from Advance Adapters - www.advanceadapters.com)

For an actual value, you can look it up in the Kelley Blue Book online (www.kbb.com) or look up "Edmund's Used Car Values" (I don't have the URL handy for that one - Google it!) Don't forget to use the "Private Party Purchase" value, and not the "Dealer Trade-in" value.

It shouldn't be too bad. It will also depend upon the owner - I bought my 88 XJ Laredo 2-door (4.0/BA10/231/D35/D30) for $1000. I later found out that this is a relatively rare combination, which leaves me with a quandary - do I restore it or do I modify it? Ah Hell - I just won that cage anyhow, and I'm finally losing the transmission...

5-90

hey thanks for the reply, I already have a 95 xj, but I have always loved the MJ, is 2,000 too much? Also is it the high output motor? Thanks

see if you can get him to come down a couple of hundred. if there's no rust and the body is clean go fot it.

i paid that for a 91 shortbed. it came with a high output with an ax15 behind it and it's only 2wd.... for now.

Last edited:
A 1990 MJ does NOT have the HO engine, and it has an AX-15 tranny, not the Peugeot.

If it's in good shape it may be worth $2,000. Couple of years ago I paid $1500 for an '87. For any vehicle that old, book values really don't exist. It's more a question of what it's worth to you.

read somewhere that 1990 produced only 9600 units.
if that is the case, and the vehicle is a "creampuff" it might be worth something in the future...however demand is in large part from the MJ faithfull and most of them own two...
reported cost new in 1990: 8975 long bed, 8095 short bed (base)
also if yor interested do a google for archer brothers and SCORE... they won alot of races in MJ's with the 2.5l

sweet, i am thinking about doing something like brettM's truck. I was going to go to toyota, but hopefully I can get this instead.

davidt said:
sweet, i am thinking about doing something like brettM's truck. I was going to go to toyota, but hopefully I can get this instead.
they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so thank you :laugh3:

It's uni-body under the cab, but with more reinforcements than XJs, and under the bed it is a good solid frame, a little thinner than my buddy's K5 frame, but an MJ's is fully boxed rather than a C channel.

sounds like a good little pickup, but the long-beds are LOOOONG for offroad stuff. my shortbed is longer than I would like, if I could shorten it 8" cheaply I would. of course if you start choping it wouldn't be too hard to shorten it down.

I paid $1400 for mine, with a little body rust, 160k original miles, the Peugeot tranny, no AC, so I'd say $2000 is a pretty good deal, but of course you can still try to talk him down some more.

yeah brett, if I get this I would be interested in maybe having you fab another x-member, interested? Love your work! How much do you have into your truck (rough estimate?) Thanks. David

Geez - why give the MJ the better gearbox and not the XJ?

If you want to verify it before you buy, slide under and look at the case. If thee is a parting line down the bottom centre of the case (looks like it would split in half) it is the Peugeot and negotiate accordingly. If it is a "tubular" case and looks like you would stuff it from the ends, it should be the AX15 and you have a better box. It's a quick look to make sure.

This is not to doubt our feathered snowy sage, just for your own information.

Of course, you could always get it and donate it "to the cause" if you're near the West Coast - I need an experimental subject...

5-90

Hmm - I'll have to check all my notes. For some reason, I've got it stuck in my head that all the XJ/MJ made for 1987-1990MY got stuck with the damn Peugeot, and the AX15 didn't get slid under there until they went to ChryCo/OBD electronics in 1991. Did I err?

"Groo is cautious. Groo is sly. Groo is LUNCH!"

5-90

5-90 said:
Hmm - I'll have to check all my notes. For some reason, I've got it stuck in my head that all the XJ/MJ made for 1987-1990MY got stuck with the damn Peugeot, and the AX15 didn't get slid under there until they went to ChryCo/OBD electronics in 1991. Did I err?

"Groo is cautious. Groo is sly. Groo is LUNCH!"

5-90

Sorry to say but yes. The production dates came out of the factory parts catalog.

davidt said:
yeah brett, if I get this I would be interested in maybe having you fab another x-member, interested? Love your work! How much do you have into your truck (rough estimate?) Thanks. David
I could possibly do another, but you need something to mount the back of the leafs too, plating and redrilling the LCA mount would probably be sufficient.

I bought mine for 1400 and have probably about 2000 additionally in it for axles, suspension, steering, lockers, gears, bumpers, OBA, skids, tires, and wheels. A lot of that was finding good deals (and used tires) and making basically everything myself. The front ARB was the only thing that was real spendy, but I'm glad I did it. Now that number doesn't include maintenence/repair type stuff, and not factoring in the first lift I did.

Just a plea for mercy here. If this truck really is in good, original condition, I beg you to reconsider chopping it up into a trail rig. There were a LOT fewer MJs built than XJs, and they are becomming ever more scarce. I'm all in favor of rescuing a heap from the crusher and using it as a trail rig, but as a collector at heart I just hate to see the good restorable examples get intentionally trashed. That's what junk yards are for.

Eagle said:
Just a plea for mercy here. If this truck really is in good, original condition, I beg you to reconsider chopping it up into a trail rig. There were a LOT fewer MJs built than XJs, and they are becomming ever more scarce. I'm all in favor of rescuing a heap from the crusher and using it as a trail rig, but as a collector at heart I just hate to see the good restorable examples get intentionally trashed. That's what junk yards are for.
Find me a junk yard mj and I will happily built it into a trail rig. i saw one here at the local pick n pull, but it is always nice to start with a mechanically sound rig ;). I will post some pics if I decide to get it, going to look at it today, where are you located in ca, might be headed that way today, would love to come meet you and see your truck. David

Back