PDA

View Full Version : 5.5" RE Lift

SharkXJ
January 12th, 2005, 11:44
Hi,
I don't have an XJ yet but I am more then likely going to get one soon. I currently have a TJ tha tI am going to sell. I want a Daily Driver I can wheel and an XJ just seems more practical then a TJ, with a wife and two dogs.

My question is. If I throw on a 5.5" RE Lift with 33" tires, will I still have to cut the Fenders? If so, would it be the front and back?

Thanks for your time -

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 11:59
my 4.5 re kit will clear 33's if you dont fourwheel at all. my rear doesn't need any cutting with 33x12.5 swampers but the front needs some massive surgery. i would recommend fiberglass or huge cutouts. i cant comment on the 5.5 kit but my 4.5 will flex the axle right to the bumpstop (ive got 3" blocks bolted to the axle end) and those 33's still rub but i have a snorkel which keeps me from cutting more metal off. anyway, either kit has serious flex and is capable of stuffing a 33 (even the 33x9.5 allterrains rub at full lock) without big flares or cutouts

XJ_ranger
January 12th, 2005, 12:38
lengthen your bumpstops an no you wont have to cut

if you want the advertised flex - then cuttage is a good idea.
Its not all that bad - and it can be done to look nice as well.

search for:
Explorer Flares - www.car-part.com
TJ Flares - http://www.discountjeepparts.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1454_1781_2898/products_id/22031
Bushwacker Flares - http://www.bushwacker.com
Rusty's Flares - http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=BODY

try these sites for trimming write ups:
http://www.myxj.net/tech/rolledfenders/
http://projectxj.com/mods/fender.htm
http://madxj.com/

Jeepin Jason
January 12th, 2005, 12:41
Hi,
My question is. If I throw on a 5.5" RE Lift with 33" tires, will I still have to cut the Fenders? If so, would it be the front and back?

Yes and yes. Front moreso than the rear. The front fenders really require trimming for anything larger than a 31" tire on a stock rim. How much trimming you have to do will depend a lot on what rims you run the tires on. I would recommend 15x8's with about 4.5" of backspacing. 4" BS works well too, and doesn't require much more trimming.

http://jeepin.com/features/chop/index.asp covers what I did to clear 33x12.5's on my '95 XJ, running the tires on 15x8's with 4.75" backspacing.

Lift height only makes a difference in tire clearance on the street, off-road it's not going to make a lot of difference if you've got 3.5" or 6.5", you'll still have to trim the same.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 12:46
if i had to do it over again, i would probably skip the snorkel and put a set of those huge fiberglass fenders, no cutting clean install

SharkXJ
January 12th, 2005, 13:46
my 4.5 re kit will clear 33's if you dont fourwheel at all. my rear doesn't need any cutting with 33x12.5 swampers but the front needs some massive surgery. i would recommend fiberglass or huge cutouts. i cant comment on the 5.5 kit but my 4.5 will flex the axle right to the bumpstop (ive got 3" blocks bolted to the axle end) and those 33's still rub but i have a snorkel which keeps me from cutting more metal off. anyway, either kit has serious flex and is capable of stuffing a 33 (even the 33x9.5 allterrains rub at full lock) without big flares or cutouts

Thanks for the reply. I DO plan on wheelin' the XJ. I just don't plan on doing any "Rock Crawling" or super hard stuff. I want it to be capable but not over the top.

SharkXJ
January 12th, 2005, 13:49
Yes and yes. Front moreso than the rear. The front fenders really require trimming for anything larger than a 31" tire on a stock rim. How much trimming you have to do will depend a lot on what rims you run the tires on. I would recommend 15x8's with about 4.5" of backspacing. 4" BS works well too, and doesn't require much more trimming.

http://jeepin.com/features/chop/index.asp covers what I did to clear 33x12.5's on my '95 XJ, running the tires on 15x8's with 4.75" backspacing.

Lift height only makes a difference in tire clearance on the street, off-road it's not going to make a lot of difference if you've got 3.5" or 6.5", you'll still have to trim the same.

Jason,
Thanks for the awesome write up. Like I said, since this is going to be my daily driver I still want it to like kind of nice. I am going to go wheeling just nothing too hard core.

One more question - Someone told me once that you can fit TJ Fender Flares on cut XJ Fenders. Is this true?

BTW - We have spoken before. I have purchased stuff from you for my TJ. IM me if you want.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies. Some great advice and links.

Ramsey
January 12th, 2005, 13:58
tj flares will work and look good if done right. search here and www.xjdb.com for tj flares and you should find some good info

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 15:09
whether you rockcrawl or just do normal wheelin, you will be amazed at how well the xj flexes with no sway bar in front hooked up, you WILL need to cut your fenders either way if you disco the sway bar regardless, dont worry, fenders are cheap

bigwhitey
January 12th, 2005, 16:39
I'd have to say that ford explorer flares allow the most room with a better fit. TJ's fit well to the rocker but no farther down with out chopping up the flare too. Bushwacker really does'nt give that much extra room, they just stick out really far. rustys seem ok but I have'nt tried them my self. I've just swapped from bushwackers to TJ's and now to Explorers which I like the most. IMHO

Harvo
January 12th, 2005, 19:07
I just tested some 33X10.50's on stock 7" rims with my new 5 inch lift. They stuffed all the way perfectly. I have cut my front fenders straight back just below the front corner light. It's a clean cut that just about everyone does. It cleared the tires just barely.

I wanted 33X12.50's but now I'm going to have to reconsider or get some hockey pucks.

Bryan C.
January 12th, 2005, 19:12
Who's this guy?

http://www.fototime.com/D8CD98E8361EFCC/standard.jpg

And why is he holding his coil spring? :wave:

Coming to the dark side now Mark? :scared:

Seriously, if you need help let me know.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 19:57
any one have a problem with the coil hold down clamp not keeping aftermarket coils in place? Mine makes a clunk whenever either coil has to compress quickly

kmagnuss_2000
January 12th, 2005, 20:10
any one have a problem with the coil hold down clamp not keeping aftermarket coils in place? Mine makes a clunk whenever either coil has to compress quickly

Mine are gone. I stripped the bolts and they magically disappeared.

kmagnuss_2000
January 12th, 2005, 20:12
Thanks for the reply. I DO plan on wheelin' the XJ. I just don't plan on doing any "Rock Crawling" or super hard stuff. I want it to be capable but not over the top.

Famous last words.

Mine started with..."I'll just put a 2" lift on there and some 31's." I took a perfectly nice 99 that looked brand new and just beat the piss out of it and now it is a confederate flag short of being the official redneck mobile.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 20:23
no matter how much crap ends up on the outside, the xj still cleans up nicely with a set of fender flares. hacked fenders just look like shit

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 20:25
no matter how much crap ends up on the outside, the xj still cleans up nicely with a set of fender flares. hacked fenders just look like shit

In your opinion. Not every one likes the flair look.

It is all personal pref.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 20:28
i have just my front stock flares cut and the rears uncut and it looks like shit, my friends has the bushwackers and it just cleans the truck up more, one step closer to not having a confederate flag on the window. also, since i cut the front ones, i've got no inner liner, i can hear every piece of road salt hit the wheel wells

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 20:31
i have just my front stock flares cut and the rears uncut and it looks like shit, my friends has the bushwackers and it just cleans the truck up more, one step closer to not having a confederate flag on the window. also, since i cut the front ones, i've got no inner liner, i can hear every piece of road salt hit the wheel wells

maybe you should have left it stock if your gonna piss and moan about all the problems you having.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 20:34
if you dont want to read about piss and moaning then why are you on a tech forum filled with problems

wolfheartak
January 12th, 2005, 20:43
There's a difference between reading to help some fix a problem, and having to filter through someone's crap complaining and "advice" that's not all that accurate... around here that's called an opinion, not fact.

These are tech forums, not piss and moan forums.

-Marisha

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 20:43
Cause someone has to keep crybabies like you from telling everyone,

This is the way it should be done cause that is how I like it. Listen I respect you opinion on you not liking the no flair look, but just because you dont like it does mean the next guy does. So dont go telling a guy his junk is gonna look like shit just cause you dont like the look.

and if you go back to the orginal question. it was not about a problem. Some hijacked the thread, hmm imagine that happening around here.

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 20:46
There's a difference between reading to help some fix a problem, and having to filter through someone's crap complaining and "advice" that's not all that accurate... around here that's called an opinion, not fact.

These are tech forums, not piss and moan forums.

-Marisha

Thank you Marisha that was the nice way of saying what I was trying to. I guess im just getting a little tired of people thinking that their opinion is "FACT"

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 20:47
listen, i dont have time to type to people that have sand in their vagina's, OK.
I think too many people have bad fxxxin attitudes about everything. just becuase someone cannot speak directly to the other person doesn't mean there always bitchin about something but rather creating conversation.

Beezil
January 12th, 2005, 20:59
Pietro........SHADDUP.

read......don't type.

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 21:03
my last thread i heard nothing but shit because i wanted to hear opinions about what people have installed on there xj's. everyone else bitched that i cant do that, it is slander against companies. this place has the same problem that pirate4x4 forums have. everyone is a expert

Ramsey
January 12th, 2005, 21:11
Pietro........SHADDUP.

read......don't type.
some of the best advice in this thread so far.

why have flairs when there just one more thing to get ripped off and cost you money to replace, at least that is my opinion

wolfheartak
January 12th, 2005, 21:15
listen, i dont have time to type to people that have sand in their vagina's, OK.

I can guarantee I've got more balls than you do.

Everyone's not an expert, we just don't put up with Know-It-All's that really don't.

-Marisha

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 21:22
so now you speak for the entire forum i guess. when did i ever claim that i am a know-it-all? anything i have ever written was based on experience and was blown out of proportion by tough guys that have to prove how great they are buy automatically starting an agument. if you come up with one example that i was clearly talkin out of my ass, then i will stop posting

sad part about this thread is i dont even remember why everyone got pissed at me for

boise49ers
January 12th, 2005, 21:42
Man O Man Naxja is starting to sound like all the other forums. Lets go back to the way it was and help. If you don't agree , shine it on and go to the next. :gag:

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 21:50
if anybody actually reads the beginning of the thread, everyone is sharing their opinions about trimming fenders until JRSXJ98 goes tough guy.
i dont know why this shit is comin at me. if i wanted to read this much trash talk i would go to pirate4x4

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 21:53

I didn't go tuff guy. until.. nah forget it why waste my time. done arguing with you

Alaskaflyr
January 12th, 2005, 21:54
Should someone start negotiations with the high-jackers? That's the great thing about the XJ, you can have an insane rock crawling rig all cut an flexed or you can have a great trail rig. I love em all, I wish I could afford 3 so I could have one to fit all my needs.

I'd like to quote Rodney King "Can't we all just get along"

back to the 5.5 questions! I just installed mine and the back isn't quite settling like I had hoped. Thinking about a .75 coil spacer to even it out. Is this typical with most of you that put the 5.5 on??

Gary

Pietro
January 12th, 2005, 21:56
sorry were too busy arguing over petty shit...

my 4.5' is high in the rear too, even after 10k miles it came down about .5"
if you add a winch or bumper it will nose dive even more because re coils aren't all THAT stiff, i wish i put adjustable spacers now

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 21:58
Should someone start negotiations with the high-jackers? That's the great thing about the XJ, you can have an insane rock crawling rig all cut an flexed or you can have a great trail rig. I love em all, I wish I could afford 3 so I could have one to fit all my needs.

back to the 5.5 questions! I just installed mine and the back isn't quite settling like I had hoped. Thinking about a .75 coil spacer to even it out. Is this typical with most of you that put the 5.5 on??

Gary

How old is the lift? Are you carring any thing in the back?

Mine sets the same unloaded, which is great for me cause when I loaded it with all my tools and spare parts for trail runs I am setting level.

Alaskaflyr
January 12th, 2005, 22:01
I'm getting a new rear bumper with the swing out spare so I'm hoping it will level it out a bit. I think I need to get out and flex it more than I have! What size tires are you runnin jrsxj98?

Gary

jrsxj98
January 12th, 2005, 22:02
33x12.50 TSL's

hillbilly_jeeper
January 12th, 2005, 22:04
i cant say yet, cause i only have about 1000-1500 miles, and no off-road on my new 4.5 yet. but even with 2-300 pounds of stuff in the back, still sits over an inch higer in the back. im acctually hoiping it dosent settle, though, i'll just throw some 1" spacers in th front and get up a little bit more. dont know how 33's would fit with uncut fenders. been running 32's since my old 3.5 inch lift, and lots of fender trimming.

Alaskaflyr
January 12th, 2005, 22:06
I wish I would have gone with 33's, I've let inchitis get the best of me once again, this is the 3rd lift on my XJ and now I'm running 35's, still trying to fine tune the trimming.

You should see my Chevy, my wife keeps asking me if I'm compensating for something!

cloudswimmer
January 12th, 2005, 22:08
Hi,
I don't have an XJ yet but I am more then likely going to get one soon. I currently have a TJ tha tI am going to sell. I want a Daily Driver I can wheel and an XJ just seems more practical then a TJ, with a wife and two dogs.

Thanks for your time -

On my 96 with the re 5.5 and 33x10.50 Radial tsl's on 15x7 4 1/2" bs rims the wheels stuffed fully with no rubbing on stock fenders and flares.Keep in mind though those tires are a VERY skinny 10.50 wide.A BFG 10.50 is quite a bit wider
and might be a problem.

kubtastic
January 12th, 2005, 22:10

Gary

Yeah - what's going on? I adjusted my headlights for now, and I'm just hoping it'll settle. I also have a custom 4x4 front bumper and a winch, so the extra 150 pounds or more might be having an effect. Too bad an ACOS would be too big of a lift for the front. I've gone 2500 miles on the springs, driving to CA and back this winter.

Ramsey
January 12th, 2005, 22:13
I wish I would have gone with 33's, I've let inchitis get the best of me once again, this is the 3rd lift on my XJ and now I'm running 35's, still trying to fine tune the trimming.

You should see my Chevy, my wife keeps asking me if I'm compensating for something!
something isnt right if your wife is the one asking :laugh:

Alaskaflyr
January 12th, 2005, 22:13
I think I'll go with the .75 or 1.00 coil spacer, they are easy enough to put on and take off. I'm thinkin a nice long road trip is in order. The Socal group is going out to Death Valley in February, I'm hoping to make that trip.

Alaskaflyr
January 12th, 2005, 22:14
something isnt right if your wife is the one asking :laugh:

I keep telling her the vehicle is the same size, the garage is just bigger after 3 kids !!!!!!! (I'm dead)

Ramsey
January 12th, 2005, 22:23
:laugh2: :laugh2: that is great, better hope she doesnt read this

SharkXJ
January 13th, 2005, 09:22
Who's this guy?

http://www.fototime.com/D8CD98E8361EFCC/standard.jpg

And why is he holding his coil spring? :wave:

Coming to the dark side now Mark? :scared:

Seriously, if you need help let me know.

HA - I forgot about that pic

Yeah, I am thinking as a daily driver and a wheeler an XJ is the way to go. I found a couple I may check out this weekend.

I will PM you if I got any ???'s - thanks a lot.

Late.....

SharkXJ
January 13th, 2005, 13:05
I'm gonna hi-jack my own post....

I think I found an XJ I am interested in buying, but not knowing much about XJ's - some advice on this one would be great.

It's a 2001 with 47k, which is what I am looking for (under 50k).

I am curious the options listed:
***Up-Country" suspension package (Skidplates front to rear, limited slip, shock upgrade, taller ride height), trailer-tow package (Auxilary transmission cooler, Class III receiver w/hitch)***

My question is: Will this optional equipment interfere with me lifting the Jeep and is the Aux Tranny Cooler a good or bad thing for a lifted rig?

Sorry for the dum questions. I know more about TJ's since I have one, but XJ's are unfamiliar territory to me.

Thanks again -

jeepin_al
January 13th, 2005, 13:25
Don't know about the other parts but an aux cooler is something everyone who wheels an auto should have. It is one of the first mods I am going to make to my XJ when I start making it trail ready. This is coming from a guy who went through 3 trannies in an 02 TJ.

Bryan C.
January 13th, 2005, 17:57
The only drawback on the 00, and 01 XJs are the low pinion D30 front axle. Maybe someone will chime in that owns one with a similar height lift and comment about front driveline angles and vibrations. It might be an issue.