• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone show me the difference between textured and smooth bumper end caps? ('98)

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
I'm reconstructing the front end of my 1998 XJ and I'm trying to decide between textured or smooth end caps. I would like to paint them when I paint the entire vehicle. Yeah, it's a Jeep, and I know I shouldn't worry about this kind of thing... but I'm a stickler. Besides, my YJ is the vehicle I don't care much about... ;).

The rear bumper caps are not painted, so I believe they're the "textured" style. I really don't want to replace those just to have fully painted bumpers, so how bad would painting the textured style look?

Or, I could just leave them go... anyone have a picture of a '97-'01 XJ with painted fender flares, painted bumpers, but unpainted "textured" bumper end caps?

Why not just save your indecision and go buy a new steel bumper from ridgidco or one of the others, by the time you buy the end caps, bumper, factory bumper mounts you could have a pretty stout and good looking bumper instead and not have any end caps to bother with...
My 98's end caps are textured on both ends.

Re: Can someone show me the difference between textured and smooth bumper end caps? ('98)

Sand them smooth, primer, then paint ...

iroc86 said:
The rear bumper caps are not painted, so I believe they're the "textured" style. I really don't want to replace those just to have fully painted bumpers, so how bad would painting the textured style look?

Or, I could just leave them go... anyone have a picture of a '97-'01 XJ with painted fender flares, painted bumpers, but unpainted "textured" bumper end caps?

RichP, I want to maintain the factory appearance of this XJ. It is tempting to spend the same amount of money on a bumper that I can actually hit things with, but I prefer the stock look. Yeah, I know... but this is probably the one vehicle that looks good just the way it comes, IMHO.

bchulett said:
Sand them smooth, primer, then paint ...

Hmm, I guess I could do that... I always seem to miss the obvious :)

Back