• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel well surgery

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Just thought I share this, worked well for me. I'm running 33" tires on 8" wheels with 4" TJ coils. When fully compressed the 33 fits like a glove into the inner wheel well, great for "posing" not great for wheeling . If the drivers side was compressed ,I couldn't steer right, passengers side was compressed, I couldn't steer left.

All this compounded by a front locker, something had to change. When completed I what to have minimal lift and lots of wheel travel. Bumpstopping off that much uptravel was out.

In the first pic you can see the spot where the tire has been rubbing the paint . I used a cutting wheel to split this along the outer edges , then a split from the point where it's rubbing straight inward to the frame rail. I then hammerd the metal upward allowing the pieces of metal to overlap each other until I had a smooth arching wheel well and the " tumor" was gone . I then welded up the overlapped seams.

On the drivers side it took about an hour, I had to redrill and use longer bolts for the airbox. On the passngers side it took about 3 hours, I had to drill out the spot welds on a stud plate thats in the wheel well, the three studs stick up through the apron and hold the battery box . I then move it to the top side of the apron and welded it down .I had to position it so the battery is slightly closer to the engine and turn more counter clockwise so it would clear the modified wheel well , it"s close but it works.

Now I can steer with the wheel fully compressed ,no rubbing, as the tire turn it glides about 1/2 inch off the wheel well all the way around. I set the steering stop to keep from rubbing the frame.

Wheeling has been alot better since I can take the line I want rather than the line my XJ wanted,..LOL .

47b4cc06b3127cce9d848f0ba39500000016109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5df24b3127cce9da3923375ca00000016109AYuXLdy2ao

47b5df24b3127cce9da3a6ab754800000016109AYuXLdy2ao

Looks really good. I love your rig.

hackedxj: Where did you get your front blinker/parking lights from, or did you tint them youself?

PFunk242 said:
What flares are those??

If I'm not mistaken, I think he stated those were Explorer flares in another thread. Unsure of year though.

85Chief

85Chief said:
Looks really good. I love your rig.

hackedxj: Where did you get your front blinker/parking lights from, or did you tint them youself?

If I'm not mistaken, I think he stated those were Explorer flares in another thread. Unsure of year though.

85Chief
They're stock sprayed with automotive clearcoat with a little black base mixed in. Thanks

Back