• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daystar Bumps

Lupine

NAXJA Member #735
Damnit. Got my poly Daystar bumps last night because I'm gay and didn't think I'd have enough time to fab in air bumps before BOTW IV.

In any case I got the 9101 bumps which they say fit a 95-96 XJ. They aren't going to work in my OEM bump "cups" like I thought they would. Did I order the wrong bumps or do I have to adapt these to fit my vintage '87?

Goat, are these the same ones that you got? I think I recall you saying you drilled them a bit and ran a bolt in from the bottom?

I hate delays..........and mis-ordered parts.........but that's a regular occurance at URF.....

CRASH

Yeah, the book said they were supposed to work, but they didn't fit......not even close. I ditched the stock cups and mounted the stops directly to the tower. Drilled a hole in the middle big enough to squeeze the head of the bolt into, then screwd them on. Make the hole a REAL tight fit......mine aren't tight enough so now they are getting a little loose and won't tighten up.

I also shortened mine some to reduce the leverage and adjust the amount of stop, but of course cut them too much so I then had to add more to the bottom. I drilled two holes through the bottom of the stops at 90* offset to soften them up a little.......works real good, the front hits softly even though the shocks are just barely bottoming out.

Goatman said:
Yeah, the book said they were supposed to work, but they didn't fit......not even close. I ditched the stock cups and mounted the stops directly to the tower. Drilled a hole in the middle big enough to squeeze the head of the bolt into, then screwd them on. Make the hole a REAL tight fit......mine aren't tight enough so now they are getting a little loose and won't tighten up.

I also shortened mine some to reduce the leverage and adjust the amount of stop, but of course cut them too much so I then had to add more to the bottom. I drilled two holes through the bottom of the stops at 90* offset to soften them up a little.......works real good, the front hits softly even though the shocks are just barely bottoming out.

Thank you sir, I'll put them in the press tonight. I assume I should account for them compressing all the way?

CRASH

Mark Hinkley said:
Posting under the wrong account is normal for you also!

:D

hinkley

Yes, I suppose it goes along with borrowing my sister's clothes......

CRASH

Where do you get Daystar bumpstops? I'm in need of some new ones and was considering getting OEM, is there an advantage?

Robert

I think mine compress about 1.5-2", but they're a little shorter, and I cut a hole in the center that's just a little too big. The stops barely hit when articulating but compress to the shocks bottoming out at speed.

Where do you get Daystar bumpstops? Any of the myiad of truck and offroad shops that sell them. Google will help you. :D

XJ's use the KJ09114 bumpstops. The bumpstop itself is the same DIA, but the base is smaller. The KJ09101 are for TJ's and use a larger base. We have yet to have an XJ customer that used the large-base KJ09101 bumpstops.

RE also has small-base XJ bumpstops now, 1" longer than stock. P/N is RE1396 and they're about $4-$8 or so cheaper than Daystar's bumpstops once you factor in shipping. RE's are only in black though.

Do any of these unts fit the early style cup, though? I think the 9101's would fit inside the cup, but there is no way ot retain them. The AMC XJ's have a totally different design than Chrysler XJ's/TJ's etc.

CRASH

Jeepin Jason said:
XJ's use the KJ09114 bumpstops. The bumpstop itself is the same DIA, but the base is smaller. The KJ09101 are for TJ's and use a larger base. We have yet to have an XJ customer that used the large-base KJ09101 bumpstops.

RE also has small-base XJ bumpstops now, 1" longer than stock. P/N is RE1396 and they're about $4-$8 or so cheaper than Daystar's bumpstops once you factor in shipping. RE's are only in black though.

how are the early cups different? can't say that I've put any on an XJ from the 80's, so I wasn't aware the early ones used a different style bumpstop.

The rubber is bonded to the cup, and to a metric bolt, which then screws into the metal bump extension. There is no way to press the rubber out of the old cup, unless you burn it out. (Pleasant!)

The new style bumps are just a press fit into the cup, allowing a user to swap them fairly easily.

CRASH

interesting... TJ bumpstop cups and some late model XJ bumpstop cups bolt to the tower as well (the ones on my '95 are welded). Pretty sure it's a metric bolt too (I know it is on TJ's). I wonder if it's the same size thread? If so, you could just snag some cups off a salvage yard TJ and use TJ bumpstops. Or look for a late model XJ with the bolt-on cups and use them with the small DIA base bumpstops.

Back